"Blue Box" oil-filters...

Tanuki

On 5/25/2018 at 1:25 PM, Sheffield said:

This is curious, as it does not cost any more to punch a large hole as a small one.

It does if you're making it on a wonky old press with whatever tooling falls to hand - press tooling is expensive and damn sure Britpart will be screwing you to the wall on price.

16 hours ago, Tanuki said:

[Another example: a while back Duracell batteries - when they were owned by Mallory - were truly the dog's danglies. Three decades later the brand has been sold on through various companies and now they're leaky as a five-dollar-whore and have ruined several of my Maglite torches].

I use Duracell Industrial bought in bulk off Ebay, and find them very good in all honesty. 

Obviously they could be a completely different kettle of fish compared to the Joe Public versions.

thanks for this, I assume that 300 tdi filters are equally carp, ha, just changed Wallace's oil and put a bluebox filter on this morning. Then read this!! T'was my last filter on the shelf, so  just ordered 4 Mahle ones, and will swap it out asap.  I will cut it open and have a look, prob next week.  I'll do the same to the Mahle one I took off as well.

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

I know that they are expensive but I only use genuine filters these days.

Genuine LR parts are only expensive compared to the cheap junk - compare genuine LR parts to genuine Toyota, BMW, etc. and they're quite reasonable.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 5:51 PM, Yostumpy said:

thanks for this, I assume that 300 tdi filters are equally carp, ha, just changed Wallace's oil and put a bluebox filter on this morning. Then read this!! T'was my last filter on the shelf, so  just ordered 4 Mahle ones, and will swap it out asap.  I will cut it open and have a look, prob next week.  I'll do the same to the Mahle one I took off as well.

I look forward to seeing your revelations!

Following this recent experience, I must say that I'd sooner stick my head up a dead badger's bum than fit Blue Box stuff anyplace where it goes-up-and-down or round-and-round or in-and-out, or anything has to flow through it.

[Their mirror-glasses seem to work OK though: but it would need a real spectacular effort to screw-up a simple reflective surface...]

15 hours ago, western said:

I use Mahle oil filters now, had a blue box one on engine prior to the rebuild & oil pressure was low, swapped a mahle filter on & oil pressure improved & the light stopped flickering.

Western I have experienced the exact same thing - just swapped filters to test the theory though and not the oil and the oil light stopped flickering at idle

• Like 1

Must have been a couple of years ago I saw a youtube video of a Mahle rep doing pretty much what the OP has done, he did it on a few different type of filters, got to say since I saw that I've always used Mahle filters.

Not even going to waste my breath on the old blue box topic.

Interesting thread. I serviced my car this morning and had run out of my stock of Mahle filters so picked up a Mann one from town.

Even more interestingly when I last changed the air filter I noticed that the new one was different to the one that I took out. The rubber seal and the casting were of lower quality. Both proper Mahle items. The old one said made in UK on it, the new one made in Indonesia ☹️