Common Wiring fault

Simon_CSK

Ok so I have always been aware of the wiring on the TD5's leaking oil down the cabling.

I have been experiencing a misfire and cutting out for a few days and had it booked in to get it looked at when it finally came to a halt. The engine would fire and run but as soon as any revs were put on the engine the engine management light would go on.Basically limpped into town in low box and idle. The AA man was stumped but he read the fault codes ad there were many of them. I the remembered a conversatio with my LR Technicia fried ad decided to lift out the ECU. The ECU ad conections looked fie but I decided to unplug the cables to have a look and foud a nice blob of oil in the red plug. 

AA man used solvet cleaner and that cured the problem. Very interesting and neither he or I could beleive the difference. 

Now does anybody know the part number for the replacement wiring?

I've only replaced the injector harness when there's a problem of oil getting into the loom: AMR6103

Repeated cleaning of the connector at the ECU can be necessary, but as long as no new oil can get in, it should soon end.

Filip

When I had this problem on my Defender, I replaced the cam-cover wiring harness and cleaned the connectors with brake-cleaner then to allow the oil in the main loom to drain away freely without there being any risk of it going into the ECU, I temporarily removed the Neoprene gasket from the loom-to-ECU plug, so any oil migrating down would be able to escape freely rather than being held against the ECU connector's pins.

After a couple of weeks no more oil was appearing so I refitted the gasket. It's been OK for the last three years/20,000 miles.

The misfiring returned this morning so I took the rocker cover off and cleaned the injector connections as best I could this allowed me to reve the engine up to 1800 RPM enough to do 40mph. Have ordered the new wiring harness today which I hope cures the problem. I have bought WD40 electrical cleaner so I will be using it in vast quantities to clean all the plugs.

This is probably the most common issue (apart from the 3 mexicans) you can have with a Discovery Td5. You need to replace the injector harness. Get a genuine one, not a cheap chinese copy. Oil gets through the plug at the rocker housing and leaches down the loom by capillary action. You'll then need to remove the ecu periodically and clean the red connctor of oil until it stops coming through the loom. Switch cleaner works well. And remove the white plastic cover from the red connector when you clean it as there will be a lot of oil underneath. You should also check the relays in the fuse box, as oli can find its way all the way there too.