Power steering pump pulley size land rover defender 200tdi

Hi all  have a standard 1993  200tdi defender which has always had a problem with the power steering .

I think i have narrowed it down to the pulley on the PAS pump being` slightly` bent/dented AND MAYBE a  non standard size .Can anyone measure up for me the real true size of the pulley .

I have always been unable to get a standard PAS belt on without having to undo all three bolts that( hold and adjust) the pump on to the bracket and then i can slip the belt on and just manage to get it bolted up and then can adjust it up.

I definitely have a slight dent in the pulley and didnt think it was a real problem but now think it could be causing me vibration/running  problems which lead to snapping the bracket holding bolts .The belt you can visualy see wobble when running can upload video.

Also can someone give me advice on just how much steering  assistance i should be getting (before this car i was use to a series 3 so my arms  are bigger than normal:rolleyes:) ...i know its hard to say but at idle i can turn the wheels but its not hard but also not easy easy and would have to use both hands....is this normal.

If my pulley was slightly bigger than it should be then i would be getting less assistance??

thanks for any input and advice

It sounds like your pump is not producing full pressure, r you have an internal leak inside the PAS box.  Given the pulley damage, I'd bet the pump is at fault. The pulley is roughly 3" as I remember it, but I have no pump to measure accurately.  Certainly a dent in its edge is going to cause problems.

never been able to get my 200tdi PAS belt on with dismounting the pump from bracket, but I did find a Dayco part number which is slightly longer to allow the belt to be fitted without taking the pump off, 

I think I posted it in here somewhere a while ago, but I'm not able to check my parts book for my hand written info/pack label. the last 3 or 4 digits on the Dayck belt part number is the length in mm.

thanks for the replies and advice.ok wanted to load a video but its peeing down here in cape town,maybe later.

at least others have the same problem of having to takepump of the bracket to get ( origional size) belt on/off .

anyone ever attempted checking the pressure of the system as described in the workshop manual?

obviously cant get genuine LR service tools but must be able to make up a test set with high reading gauge??

Your pump pulley should be 100mm external diameter.  

You should be able to turn the wheel easily with one finger when standing.  I've just measured one here with a small fishing spring scale, took 3kg force to turn the steering wheel on tarmac. 

say you're getting snapped bolts with the vibration? The pump's a bit exposed, sounds like it's taken a beating with something, you probably just need a new pump.  

The pulley dent will cause flutuating belt tension, which will be the source of the vibration.  I'm sure you know how vibration work hardens and cracks metals, so that's the likely cause of the bolt failures.  It is possible that the tension fluctuations have damaged the pump bearings and innards, hence the low pressure.  It all fits, and the underlaying cause is the pulley damage.