Heater to Bulkhead seal issue

Ok so I’m in the process of replacing my bulkhead on my 1986 90 and today went to refurb the heater but found a problem with the heater to bulkhead seal. The old one was stuck around both sides of the mounting frame but the new seat (stc952) had no cutouts to do this so I tried squeezing it within the frame in the hope it might work but on fitting it just oozes through into the bulkhead so I removed it and tried slicing a channel  in it to fit round the frame but ended up with holes through it so finally threw in the tunnel. Would anyone know if there’s a different seal for earlier vehicles?

• Like 1

That’s the one I had but when I took the renements of the old one off it was as if the surround went in between it so I foolishly tried to slice it and made a right arse of it so new one on order. It just seems to big on its outer edge to go on the inner edge but also too small on the inner edge to go round. I’m guessing I’m gona need contact adhesive or some type of sealant to stick it in place

it should slide over the rectangular duct the goes in the bulkhead hole & then the heater unit/bulkhead is bolted up & seal gets partially compressed, the old seals do stick to one or other of the items when heater is removed.

So is my metal bracket the wrong way round ? 

And what sort of glue to use please and seems like the shut out flap had some sort of foam on it at one time is that replaceable ? 

Heaters seem to raise a lot of questions ... :-)

My metal trim was stuck to the dash when I removed it so opposite way from yours. Iv stuck mine now with tiger seal and stuck the trim to the bulkhead too. My foam on the flap was jiggered too so I just bout a sheet of adhesive foam rubber and cut a section to stick to the flap

Okay thanks I got some foam at the butser jumble and I’ll grab from tiger seal from Halfords. My cables aren’t very clever and my heater to wing intake connector is missing so I grab one of those too.  I plan to add some foam to the lower dash vents as well. Seems to be a gap at the bottom of the vents when closed don’t know if that is accident or design.

• 2 weeks later...

I cut a chunk from mine and bonded it back together. I had the same issue that as the seal compressed it didn't do it in a uniform manner and ended up squeezing itself out at one side. Seems to have worked...no leaks in 4yrs :rolleyes: