Land Rover 90 - Clutch problem (auto to manual conv)

Davewillb

Hi,

Thanks for reading this:- 

I'm swapping my 90 from automatic to manual, it did have an auto with 3.9 V8 (originally from a Disco)  - I've kept the 3.9 in place, fitted a 3.9 manual flywheel, new clutch and pressure plate, new slave, new master, recon clutch pedal with the fancy helper springs from a TD5, recon gearbox from Ashcroft (still a Disco box  so sorting the seatbox to allow for gear levers) the transfer box from the original auto box.

Having finally got this all together and  today was the big day and................no working clutch, as in there is no drive at all, with engine running I can do what I like with the gear stick.

Its been a long day and I've only done a few jobs with clutches and that was a few years ago now - but isn't the default  clutch engaged until you depress the clutch pedal, mine seems to think the clutch is down all the time.

Anyone any thoughts on what I've done wrong please / what I should be looking for when I take the gearbox out again?

If I take the rear PTO cover off again I can check for drive up to the transfer box I guess.

My only other clue is the clutch pedal feels light, but I haven't had one with helper springs before so......? it did bleed ok...I think. 

Time for a cold beer.

Dave 

Edited by Davewillb

Thanks for the reply, I'll compare the new release bearing tomorrow with the old one that came out of the original setup .I know the old one wasn't plastic and the new one was.

I'm wondering as well about the slave cylinder push-rod, if that was too long it would have the same effect wouldn't it.

Think I'll unbolt the clutch slave cylinder and see what happens before I take the gbox out tomorrow  - deep joy.

Cheers,

Dave 

I took the slave cylinder off this morning - made no difference and the push rod was free to move. Also removed the PTO cover and no movement at that end so it has to be an issue with the clutch plate / cover? Gearbox back out tomorrow.

Dave