Ashcroft ATB on road

BogMonster

17 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

As an aside, I had a Quaife in the front axle of my old RRC and a TrueTrac in the rear. It was a good set up.

The only issue I had was, when driving fast in the RR, there is a technique taught in defensive drive techniques (with Disco/RRC/Defender/series/100 series) of using the lift of the inside front wheel to 'spin off' the power to a point where the vehicle settles back on to all four wheels. This allows a 'slingshot' out of tight bends etc.With LSD's etc this gets quite interesting and can involve the smell of adrenaline filling the vehicle

:hysterical:

Brown, lumpy adrenaline? :lol:

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 4:24 PM, landroversforever said:

No, the pegging solves the issue of the later type, short nose, rover diff pinions moving. 

Does it?  As far as I know, peddling only solves ring gear and carrier movement, preventing the ring gear from being pushed away from the pinion.  I can’t see how it stops pinion axis movement at all.  That’s  where a long, heavy pinion with large and widely space bearings comes in.

Just now, Snagger said:

Does it?  As far as I know, peddling only solves ring gear and carrier movement, preventing the ring gear from being pushed away from the pinion.  I can’t see how it stops pinion axis movement at all.  That’s  where a long, heavy pinion with large and widely space bearings comes in.

The movement at the crownwheel is what you're trying to stop though isn't it? 

The problems that I have read about of the late 110 axles on a few forums concern the pinion moving away from the ring gear beaches the bearings are too close to keep it straight under load.  It doesn’t matter whether the ring or the pinion is the one moving out of mesh - either way, you’ll strip the teeth off.   Salisburys don’t do that, and don’t seem to need the ring gear pegging either.