Clutch Master Cylinder - Defender 3.9 V8 - R380

Hi,

Would be very grateful for confirmation on what a suitable part number would be for a Clutch Master Cylinder, I'm converting my 90 from auto to manual, it uses a Discovery 3.9 V8 with gearbox. I'm using FTC5072 for the slave  which is the Disco part (I believe) but cant use the Disco master due to the different mounting in the pedal assembly.

thanks,

Dave

Edited by Davewillb

10 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

V8 were different, however it’s the same clutch setup between Disco R380/V8 as in a Defender so the one you’ve chosen should be okay. 

.....sorry but I'm confused (not unusual :) ) I think I'm ok with the slave but its the master I'm struggling with, I've seen it said that a TD5 master cylinder will work but others saying it wont - I'm guessing it depends what slave they had. Am I right to think that a Disco master wont fit because of the different pedal box?

thanks,

Dave

Ah - apologies I was talking slave cylinders. Yes the master cylinders are pretty much all the same, at least up to and including Td5. I think even beyond that from what I can ascertain. STC500100 appears to be the number.

One thing to be aware of, I just fitted one to my car and when I went to swap over the two small lock-nuts I found the thread was different on the actuating rod of the new cylinder. In the end I took the rod off the old one and swapped them over and then the nuts fitted back on.

Good time to grease the clutch pedal bushes etc. too.

Just to confirm that a Defender TD5 clutch master cylinder works fine with a Discovery V8 R380 slave cylinder - and just for reference for anyone who has issues putting a manual R380 gearbox behind a 3.9V8 in a 90. Watch out for the length of the bellhousing, the LT77 V8 bellhousing is longer than the R380 V8 bellhousing, it all bolts up but the gearbox main shaft doesn't engage in the clutch plate. Also, watch out for the length of the clutch slave cylinder push rod, it should be about 11cm long, not 7 or 8.

Thanks for the help with this guys, much appreciated.

Edited by Davewillb