Oppositelock

oppositelock

You don't have to strip the hubs, just pop the cap off, take the split pin out and unwind the nut. You'll be able to see what splines you've got if you clean a little gunk out. 

I'm sure someone will be along to tell you not to waste your time. I'm undecided as to whether they make a difference. I think the steering feels better with everything whirring around but they do seem to save a little fuel. I'd not go out of my way to fit any if they hadn't been fitted already to my S3. They're not always the strong either. 

One thing to watch out for is the need to engage them regularly to keep everything splash lubricated. The top bearings do suffer otherwise. 

What type are you thinking of getting? 

I had them one but as 1 was broken (never locked) I bough standard hubs.

If you have them lying around fit them!
If you buy new ones you'd better spend half of that money on fuel and you break even is likely years and years away.

IMHO there's only 1 valid reason to buy manual hubs (or modify the ADD on a modern Toyota front axle) and that is if you need low gear on pavement (for example to reverse manouvre a loaded trailer in a tight space without burning to much clutch often)

Edited by xychix