new microcat

rawsondsr

Hello,

New to this microcat thing & although I've got it working ok the bits I need to look up keep telling me to refer to the superwindow as no illustration is available. When I open the superwindow & select the item I want it still doesn't display a parts diagram!!!!!

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong caus I don't know how to use the software but if someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated before I tear all of my hair out going round in circles :rolleyes:

Also is there any quick way to return to the previous screen when you click on the wrong thing? I found the previous image menu but it would be handy to go back a page rather than to the last image.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

HELP,

I am struggling to get this to work, i can get it to load up and everything if i change the system time on vista but have tried what is suggested to get round this and it wont work. Also how do i enable the pricing information so that when selected it gives the cost.

Many THanks

What messages do you get? The new one should warn if it can't change the time/date.

likewise i dont get any prices. most price fields merely contain four hashes ####

i dont get any messages as such, i believe i got one in the first place saying the price information wasnt there or incomplete or something needed inputting for a pricing structure or whatever, but i havent seen that in a month or so

discojmz,

if microcat is starting up, but you got this message about pricing, it sounds like an issue within the installation, it has started correctly, but won't provide pricing due to errors in the files.

Without more info I can't be of more help on it, sorry!

Steve

EDIT: actually, I remember something about microcat asking me for a conversion factor or something, usually if the date was a month or so out.

• 2 months later...
Guest diesel_jim
The alternate link is no longer available either.

Does someone have a copy of this they could forward to me please.

Thanks

PM me your email and i'll fling it over.

I'll suggest an alternative which I have found to both work, and have some nice touches in the design.

It uses a variation on the expected launch screen, and immediately after the application starts the date is reverted to the current date, thus you are never operating the PC with an incorrect date.

I use this with XP, fully updated.

M'cat Starter Utility

HTH

I'll suggest an alternative which I have found to both work, and have some nice touches in the design.

HTH

Most certainly does. I have other stuff running on my main machine which means I need the date set correctly most of the time. This means you can leave Microcat running for however long you want. Nice.

diesel_jim, thanks for the earlier offer.

cheers

well, looks like the hoster is down, not sure when that happened, but a quick check looks like they are gone. Time to find yet another new hoster. In the meantime I am happy to send out copies if PMd

David,

where does this file come from? I have just disassembled it and from quick peek it appears to be manually loading kernel32 and there are some what look like dll function call routines typical where you load a DLL to get access to dodgy functions but don't want the imports to be seen. The hosting site doesn't look ace either.

I'd be careful about running an executable that you are unsure of the origin of, changing the system date is an administrative action, so if this works it has a high level of access.

I could just be being paranoid, but I like to check. I note it is written in VB6 which indicates it is either a bit old or they chose it for the amount of noise it generates when decompiling, you don't see many new VB6 programs now.

There may be nothing wrong with it, but it's best to be cautious, the source for my apps I release like this are always available if asked for, for just this reason.

S

Steve_a.

I'm a user, not a software engineer.

This was available, it works, and from a users point of view has some nice design features .

If it offends you for some technical reasons then neither I nor (I suspect) anybody else, will object to you replicating the functionality in a more technically adept package.

As a software engineer you clearly get disturbed by software you see as 'suspect'.

As a user I get disturbed by software that is not available when I want it. The best (designed and functional) programme in the world is useless if it is not available.

This is the same as saying Joe Bloggs sells the best winch at the cheapest price, but he hasn't any in stock, so the only thing pulled is one of these vapour ware creations people keep referring to.

Cheers.

Steve_a.

I'm a user, not a software engineer.

This was available, it works, and from a users point of view has some nice design features .

If it offends you for some technical reasons then neither I nor (I suspect) anybody else, will object to you replicating the functionality in a more technically adept package.

As a software engineer you clearly get disturbed by software you see as 'suspect'.

As a user I get disturbed by software that is not available when I want it. The best (designed and functional) programme in the world is useless if it is not available.

This is the same as saying Joe Bloggs sells the best winch at the cheapest price, but he hasn't any in stock, so the only thing pulled is one of these vapour ware creations people keep referring to.

Cheers.

He's only watching your back.

There are a lot of nasty files on the old interweb, and Steve is just advising caution from the perspective of someone who understands these things (although he does sound like a bit of a VB nerd :lol: ) . He will also 100% understand your perspective in that it 'does what it says on the tin'.

As I say, just watching out for you.

mad

Hi,

can anyone help, been trying to set this up instead of revision for finals today ans i have finally got it to work and iv copied all the cracks about however it still asks me for a password when i log in so can't get past that, what am i doing wrong?

many thanks.

James

edit figured it out now!!! that was simple!!!

Hi,

can anyone help, been trying to set this up instead of revision for finals today ans i have finally got it to work and iv copied all the cracks about however it still asks me for a password when i log in so can't get past that, what am i doing wrong?

many thanks.

James

When you first start it you just enter a user name and password and that is it. Next time you login just use the same details.

Now get back to studying. I know how easy it is to find other things to do. I used to call it "study avoidance techniques" and they worked damn well.

mad

Yet another quick link so it can be downloaded. Not sure about this hoster - was recommended to me, but I will wait and see!

microlaunch Executable

And for those that want it, the source code

Source code

I can't promise that this will be the final host, I have a horrible feeling I might have to start paying for hosting, but I guess that is what I have to do to ensure that software is available exactly when somone should want it :rolleyes:

Steve,

Thanks for making the effort and sorting out microcat and making it usable for us over the last couple of years, some here appreciate your efforts.

Cheers m8 :i-m_so_happy:

Mo

2nd that.

BTW I am using http://freehostia.com/ for a few of my domains. Has the usal PHP, Perl, MySQL etc and is free.

So far have been very good. Why not purchase a domain and then just point the name servers at freehostia. Then if you do have to move, the domain name stays the same, just the backend moves. Fairly transparent.

mad

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your great work with this little gem of a program. Worked first time for me :)

I have been using http://byethost.com for some while now, they seem quite reliable (doh! just cursed that). They are also a free host and have the PHP etc. as Mad mentioned above. I also registered a domain name and redirected it to the host. Used to be with clubhostcity until they disappeared, so I can sympathise with your hosting troubles.

Michael

where do i get a copy of the mg16.dll file for microcat? and does it work with other brand databases?

You don't need the cracked dll file if you use the microlauncher that is mentioned above. No, it will not work with other data bases, as they all have different database titles. But the microlauncher might work ?

Todd.

Steve,

Thanks for making the effort and sorting out microcat and making it usable for us over the last couple of years, some here appreciate your efforts.

Cheers m8 :i-m_so_happy:

Mo

Steve,

thanks a million mate, that utility works a treat. ;)

Cheers,

Todd.

Steve,

Thanks for re-hosting microlaunch I have been looking for it for a while, as simplifies the process of date setting on Microcat compared to the javascript and microstarter options. I can confirm it works with even the Feb 2008 version of microcat with correct pricing on both Vista and XP.

Guest diesel_jim
Steve,

Thanks for re-hosting microlaunch I have been looking for it for a while, as simplifies the process of date setting on Microcat compared to the javascript and microstarter options. I can confirm it works with even the Feb 2008 version of microcat with correct pricing on both Vista and XP.

works with the march 08 version as well.

Steve,

Man I have to figure out the pricing one of these days.

Jupp, 02/2008 working fine...........no more annoying reminders that its going to expire soon. :blink:

Todd.

steve i have some paid for hosting at www.lr90.org that shouldnt be going offline any time soon

if you want you can host the file on there which should give you a bit more dependant host than these free services

give me a PM and i'll sort it out