Crank Pulley/Timing Wheel Alignment

nate13

Hello all - recently registered but lurked for a while and have tried to search and haven't been able to track down what I'm missing.

Short backstory, I daily drove my 5-speed 4.0 Discovery through most of undergrad...then I was unable to keep up with maintenance/excuses and it's sat. Bought a used 4.6 engine a few years ago and the buddy that was helping install it passed away, so it sat a few more years. I'm now trying to tackle it again and replacing the ECU with the Megasquirt kit from Nigel. The engine is installed, though there was no spark and the buddy wanted to Megasquirt it. Sounded like a fun venture so that's what we decided...just never got around to buying the kit until a few months ago.

My current issue is the alignment of the crank pulley. I've attached a few pictures of the original pulley that I have. With it, everything lines up but the "dome" pushes the timing wheel back and it hits the bottom of the water pump.

I found an old 4.6 pulley (that doesn't have the "dome") and it's way too close to the engine block.

What am I missing? Are the timing cover dimensions different between the 4.0 and 4.6?

Thanks for any help,

Nate

20180528_101315.jpg

20180528_101421.jpg

Hi There,

Glad to hear you are moving the project forward. 

I think I've seen / read that the pulley wheel needs some machining to provide a flat surface for the trigger wheel to land on.

Hopefully @Hybrid_From_Hell, or another knowledgeable person will be along to advise shortly.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I had read that some light machining was needed to get the trigger wheel to sit flush against the pulley. My concern is that won't move the trigger wheel out enough to clear the water pump. I'll have to check it again after work.