Disco 3 Christmas Tree Dash

Cat_J

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with my D3, it started back when the battery light started coming on, the battery passed all tests so I had the alternator changed, then 10 days later it started up all over again. At this point I felt it must be the battery as it was old anyway and now the indicator was displaying 'replace', which I did.

However a couple of days later, today, while driving home I got every warning bing and bong under the sun, suspension, brakes, airbags, park brake, land rover spider AWOL etc etc. The full D3 christmas tree. It then cut out on the side of the road just as I managed to pull into a village. If it was my defender I'm sure I'd have it fixed by now, however I loath the thought of working on the D3, everything has nasty plastic everywhere and its just no fun. My instinct is shouting wiring issue, actually it was the feeling I had from the start due to the intermittent way it started, but I would think that as I spend my life building wiring harnesses anyway.

Does anyone have any personal experience of this fault? I'm having it picked up and it would be great if I could point the guy in the right direction.

Thanks

After some thinking I too feel the new alternator is faulty and the whole cascade failure could have been caused by the voltage supply dropping below threshold. I used a local garage, a good one who I know I can trust. I forgot to ask the brand but he says he feels they are normally very reliable, it came at a cost close to OEM and doesn't appear to be a budget part. Hes also used them in D3s before with no issue.

Testing the alternator output will be his first move once its in. Fingers crossed. I am now aware of about a dozen more ways the D3 can fail in this manner though after doing some googling. Its not too reassuring knowing the whole system can suffer cascade style failures from things like a brake light switch.