Cheap Chinese stereo heads

Gazzar

The stereo in the series died, probably condensation from the roof killed it.

Time to replace, but with  what?

I'm putting in an old clarion for the moment, but it's cd, no aux or Bluetooth.

As the Ariel is under the roof rack, FM reception is carp so that is limiting.

So, I need loud, ideally Bluetooth, but with a display I can see from the seat. The led displays on the cheap units have a rubbish viewing angle, but there are Chinese units for small money with a proper display panel.

Has anyone tried these out?

At less than £30, it's got to be worth a punt.

G.

Two years ago I replaced the original tape head unit in my 110 with (I've just looked) a Panasonic DEH4800BT. If I remember correctly was about £80 from Halfrauds when I got it and I've been mightily impressed. Even with the windows open and original speakers I can still hear it reasonably well.

Has CD, Bluetooth for both music and phone, aux and USB. Would recommend it even though it's a bit more than what you suggested.

£30 you must be mad! Try £14.99 delivered!

IMG_3863.JPG

Sound is carp with the engine off but once you're moving it doesn't notice. Not going to blow your doors off but loud enough. USB/SD/Aux don't know about bluetooth. Display is annoying but others have more sensible ones, this was just an experiment. No CD mechanism so it sits behind the lip of the dash.

• Like 1

ive used cheap chinese head units, double din with sat nav ipod dock etc.it worked very well, as long as you didnt want to listen to the radio. it would pick up to radio 1 and two in ideal conditions and nothing at all the rest of the time ...

If you want just radio and mp3 from your phone, buy a cheap audio amplifier, and a 3.5mm stereo jack to phono cable that you plug in when you get in the car.

Then you have loads of space in your dash for more important things.

Have a look on the local Facebook/ Spock/ gum ree pages you'l probably get a good brand unit for next to nothing. I had a £400 Panasonic in mint condition that only sold for about £20 as it wasn't screen mirroring smart phone app friendly. 

My experience of cheap Chinese stuff is the instructions are difficult to fathom, it works in its own fashon and time but never quite as well as you expect it would and gives up sooner than it should... afterall by the time they've got it over here there isn't much left in the budget for making the thing.

I think Ill go for one of those Bluetooth to FM cigarette lighter things.  That and the Clarion unit should do.

The headphone jack is dying on my phone, so Bluetooth is a smarter plan, I think.

I hear what you are saying about the UI on the head units - that would drive me mad, so keeping it simple may be the best option.  I will have to figure out how to avoid condensation falling on the unit though, ideally without taking the la salle lining off the cab roof!

Thanks.

The problem is having the head unit in the roof - very few have a LED display that I can read, I'm hoping the back lit LCD will be better.

I think I'll get this for the cigarette lighter that I've on the side of the Hazard Switch panel.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Wireless-Bluetooth-FM-Transmitter-Car-Mp3-Radio-USB-Charger-for-iPhone-SE-5s-6/19017374164

It's my kind of money, no point in spending more on a rough pickup with minimal sound proofing.

The last unit I fitted was to upgrade to DAB.  I know that hasn't been the success it was meant to, and FM is continuing rather than being shut down, but the clarity and ease of tuning is worthwhile if you like radio rather than CD/MP3.

Alas no good without 3G. Likewise DAB not available in most of Scotland so I’m stuck with FM.

Biggest issue I have with radio reception is when I’m moving between transmitter areas (almost every time I drive it) it often doesn’t switch to the alternative frequency properly. I find myself listening to a lot of static.

Likewise in the Forest. Reception is rubbish, mobile signal non existent.

Having the aeriel under the roof rack can't help!

I've ordered a £5 FM transmitter.

I'll be streaming from the phone library to the head unit.

That will do for now.

9 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Biggest issue I have with radio reception is when I’m moving between transmitter areas (almost every time I drive it) it often doesn’t switch to the alternative frequency properly. I find myself listening to a lot of static.

That's one of the things DAB takes care of, where you can get it.  Pity you can't

We are currently in mountains in Spain at 1,000m and the nearest shack is just below and the nearest village is miles away. I have a full 3G signal and to be honest we’ve hardly been without a signal here or in other Sierra further north. It couldn’t be more different from the UK.

At home in the Peak District we have sporadic reception and there’s still “fuss” over permissions for masts, sometimes from the public. 

Nuts. I wired the cigar lighter to be live all the time, so that I can use it for the solar charger.

Which means I've to remember to disconnect the Bluetooth dohickey every time I switch off. 

Ah well.

I'll test the thing when the aerial adapter arrives.

C'mon eBay.

G