Cubby box under driver seat - modified

So my 110 has rx8 seats in the front.

There is minimal/zero clearance beneath so getting the cover panels off is a pain, and getting the seats off is a right ol faf...

I was contemplating cutting an access panel in the footwell with a hinged flap or something that can allow access..

Is this a terrible idea etc, obviously I don't want to substantially weaken the seat box.. was thinking possibly rivet the top piece on in place to add structure back in.. thoughts please..

Unless you need access whilst the vehicle is moving I'd be inclined to go in from the side. Easier to do and easier to see what's in there I'd have thought. I have heard some people mention it substantially weakens it which is why they tend to have reinforcement added.

No first had experience but it is on my list of things to look at because I've got L322 seats in mine and they're a pain, especially if you need to get to the battery and they're not working because they're battery operated...

I might go comeplete custom to drop the front edge down level and that way I have the old one as backup and I can build what I want.

I had a round deck plate let in to the side of the seatbox on my old hybrid, to store strops and shackles and the like.

It never caused any problems - and I put more load on the seatbox than most!

I’ve got RX8 seats in my 110. The passenger one is hinged with the Mazda runners hinged onto 1” box section which is bolted to the OEM holes. The front of the seat bolts via rivnuts to the box section. Not only does it lift the seat by an inch, by removing the two front bolts and tilting the back of the seat forwards, the base hinges back to give excellent access to the batteries.