Helicoils

ianmayco68

Hi all , I was resealing the sump this morning when the bolt in the middle at the front wouldn’t tighten up so I took it out , once out there was thread on the end of the bolt  which I am assuming was a helicoil as it appeared to be threaded on the out side . It was badly corroded, is it normal for these to corrode like that ? And can you just fit a new one ? I’m hoping you can or it means stripping the engine apart to fit one if it starts leaking , which with my look it’s bound to .

cheers Ian

i think helicoils are stainless.

from your description its torn a damaged and corroded thread out of the bolthole, so id just helicoil it and carry on. helicoils are in general stronger than the original.

Edited by qwakers

Didn't know if they did aluminium ones , it was how it came out that made me think it was a helicoil as it was theaded on the outside as well . Sorry forgot to say it's a 200tdi 110 the problem is its a long bolt and it goes up into the ladder frame , I think it goes up into the block .

Yes Ralph it’s the one in the middle , I was pretty sure it went into the block that’s why I thought someone had previously helicoiled it as even though half or more of the thread has come out the bolt still screws in but doesn’t tighten . Any way it’s not leaking so I’m happy to leave it for a while , have seen those kits in machine mart also found some on fleabay didn’t realise they were that cheap so I’ll get one and have a look . The last thing I want to do is strip the engine just to put a helicoil in , as it might be as qwackers said that the thread was damaged and has come out .

Edited by ianmayco68

If the thread is in the block you will need to strip the ladder frame off to helicoil it. You need to drill it oversize, tap it and then fit the helicoil none of which will go up an 8mm bolt hole. If the thread is in the ladder you either need to take the sump off or the bodge would be to do it through the sump then use a washer over the now oversize hole in the sump.

Mike

Cheers Bowie69 will try the longer bolt , the thought of removing and stripping the engine to fit a helicoil is not appealing especially when it’s my everyday car and I’ve finally stopped the leak from the sump so hopefully the longer bolt will work .

cheers all Ian