Steering judder

miketomcat

The IVA man picked up an issue with the steering on the ibex. No problem I thinks that will be a seized uj easy fix.... fast forward a couple of weeks new uj's are here must do that. Well it wasn't the uj's so here's what's happening whined on full right hand lock then turn it back towards centre quite quickly and you get a judder. It doesn't happen if you go from lock to lock normally nor on left hand lock. I've let the drag link go doesn't seem to be in the axle so that leaves the box, pump or damper(which is new but has been sat a while). Anyone else have this problem? If so what was it I'm thinking I need to change steering box.

Mike

I'm slightly confused can you replicate it while stationary?

If it's while moving I'll repeat the mantra that someone on here instilled in me, panhard rod bushes. I'd recently replaced mine and got steering judder back and turned out they'd shot themselves within a few months. Stuck with genuine after that, but was in a tight spot and needed it fast.

If it's not bushes, then I'd suspect the pump isn't keeping up with the hydraulic demand.  Could just be a weak or sticking relief valve inside the pump.  A smaller diameter pulley on the pump would solve it if it's only happening at low engine rpm.

Am I reading this correcly? 

When stationary, and turning from full right lock to the straight ahead position rapidly you can feel a judder?

if so I would agree to isolate the steering damper from the equation. Might also be worth a fluid change. It almost sounds as though the box can’t keep up with the demand input. Are the pipes all ok? Nothing pinched?

Not bushes or mechanical part of the steering (haven't ruled out damper yet but was new 2 years ago). I can make it judder while jacked up it's only on right hand lock. Fluid was filled two years ago (hasn't been driven yet really) and system is as it should be.

Mike

Is it a violent juddering or more of a pulsating?

I have heard of a woodruff key inside the pump wearing down, how true that is I don't know. My suspicion would be pump, just but feel at the moment mind. If you're keeping the steering torque constant I can't see how it would be relay box but haven't looked at those in any great depth.

I might have a spare that doesn't exhibit those symtoms at least. My power steering feels weak and I've got a box with less play and a new to me pump. I need to get around to replacing the seals on the box and then I'll be swapping them over. If you wanted to borrow the "new" pump to see if that cures the problem you're welcome too, I'm unlikely to get around to sorting that for a few weeks yet.

Yeah I've only just changed the one on the 110 from 3 to 4 bolt. So I have a spare 3 bolt but not a 4 bolt. TSD has said I can borrow the one off 2bex if need be but I will look for one on the basis that this one may not be long for this world if I refit it after the IVA.

Mike

I've got two at the moment, one on the 110 and one sat in the shed awaiting new seals (which involves me making a jig to press the drop arm off). The one on the 110 has a bit of play but is functioning although as to what level I'm not sure. Power steering is heavier than I remember at low speeds so suspect pump and possibly box. If its of any interest it could be made available sooner rather than later but it'll be at least a week and a half before I get time to have a look at swapping them over.

Equally I think @Chris Davies had another one in his shed barn when I picked up mine, don't know whether its available or he had it reserved for something. I'm heading back from his / our neck of the woods tomorrow afternoon so if available I could bring it east bound with me.