Another small accessories outfit

Snagger

I have just stumbled across a small Australian outfit making some small accessories for Defenders.  Comparable in nature I suppose to Mudstuff.co.uk, but slightly more mechanically orientated.  I'm not sure their "Dynamic Rings" serve any purpose, since all genuine LR steel wheels are supported by the studs, not the hub centres, so the aftermarket wheels these rings are made for are no different, but most of the other products are interesting.  I plan to get their brake disc shield reinforcers.

http://www.nuggetstuff.com/

i think this answers the question

"

Like many other Defender Drivers, I fitted Dynamic steel rims when going to wider tyres. Unfortunately the centre does not fit snuggly on the axle hub with a 10mm gap.

This results in totally relying on the wheel nuts to hold the rim. If the wheel nuts are not tightened, or should they come loose the unsupported wheel will shear the studs very quickly. This is the standard setup.

Recently several people in NSW have fallen crook of Transport. As a result Nugget Stuff put the shoulder to the grind stone and are pleased to introduce a Defender/Dynamic rim specific Hub Centric Rings which over comes all of the problems.

"

looks like it may have come about from local traffic law issues

10 minutes ago, Cynic-al said:

Surely that means they have the wrong rims? Not sure why a wider tyre would do that? unless I'm being really thick?

No, because LR rims locate on the studs, not the hub. As Mike's pointed out, it would just seem that their local laws have decided the LR method isn't good enough for the oversize tyres.

Ah I read it as a problem that occurred because you've fitted different tyres. Wonder why they don't kick up a fuss on standard tyres? Looks like you have to buy a bolt kit too to get it over the half shaft bolts. Is that part of the hub cast? Wonder how consistent it is for getting them on? Not trying to knock it just curious.

6 minutes ago, Cynic-al said:

Ah I read it as a problem that occurred because you've fitted different tyres. Wonder why they don't kick up a fuss on standard tyres? Looks like you have to buy a bolt kit too to get it over the half shaft bolts. Is that part of the hub cast? Wonder how consistent it is for getting them on? Not trying to knock it just curious.

That's the way it sounds from Mike's quote. I guess they've decided the standard size is OK as it would have passed some kind of type approval. I'm sure the hubs are cast.... I can't picture any part of that area having been machined other than the drive flange face. 

3 hours ago, landroversforever said:

No, because LR rims locate on the studs, not the hub. As Mike's pointed out, it would just seem that their local laws have decided the LR method isn't good enough for the oversize tyres.

Not strictly true Ross , all factory steel and alloy wheels are centred  to the hub with a pressed upset edge on steels and a machined diameter inside the alloy's , wheels such as modular and 8 spokes work because the M16 stud is up to acting as not only the clamping force but is able to maintain accurate centring if you see what I mean , those of us of a certain age will have experience of series screw-in/staked studs (smaller diameter too) coming loose with eight spokes/dumper wheels with oversize centres .

cheers

Steve b

6 minutes ago, steve b said:

Not strictly true Ross , all factory steel and alloy wheels are centred  to the hub with a pressed upset edge on steels and a machined diameter inside the alloy's , wheels such as modular and 8 spokes work because the M16 stud is up to acting as not only the clamping force but is able to maintain accurate centring if you see what I mean , those of us of a certain age will have experience of series screw-in/staked studs (smaller diameter too) coming loose with eight spokes/dumper wheels with oversize centres .

cheers

Steve b

Wolfs don't touch the centre diameter at all? 

8 minutes ago, steve b said:

cheers

Steve b

The steel wheels are not centred on the hub - they are all centred by the studs and countersunk nuts.  There is a small gap between hub and wheel nave on all LR steel wheels (not sure about Rostyle); if there isn't, something is wrong.  These rings are for aftermarket wheels which tend to have bigger gaps, but it's irrelevant what size the gap is; the studs bear all the load regardless, so it's a totally ill-thought out legislation.

Certainly expensive for most of it, but I have no idea how it compares locally.  I though the brake shield reinforcers looked useful, having seen a lot of broken shields on overland vehicles, and they're not especially dear.  I like the look of the wading stuff and haven't seen sintered filters in that application before, but I can't see the point in only raising them that far.  I just thought I'd mention them just incase anyone wanted parts along those lines as I'd never heard of the vendor until some discussions with some overlanders about the reinforcers.

I've use sintered silencers on breathers as they're cheap, small, push fit or threaded and do ok against the mud etc. It wouldn't be hard to put it a little higher up but I imagine most Australians have 4x4s not to play and try and get stuck in neck deep water but simply to get around in the big muddy bit in the middle of the country so I expect if your there on your own you aim for the dry bit not the deep muddy bit so bonnet deep is probably ample?

I think Australia is generally a fairly expensive place to live. I think it's a big place with not that many people so they need to generate a lot of tax to maintain a good standard of living and the workers get wages to match. It also reduces the economies of manufacture and if you import stuff you still have a high cost to ship it around the country. I know I've look at importing things from there before for other hobbies and it's always expensive.

• Like 1