Rotodama Rediscovery

I think to modify a D3 as a kit car build the company would have to do a lot of hand holding on the electronics and control side. Can you imagine the average person getting in a mess trying to rewire it and have the kit and knowhow to clear the faults, code bits out etc etc. That means the kit car company need to sell pre made plug in looms and software updates or an ecu modifying service which means the company need to know how to do all this not just weld up frames in tin hut on an abandoned airfield... or out source it which is more complexity and cost.

For £24k unless you want to build one and customize it for a particular purpose you'd just go buy the 4x4 van with a heater, a/c and can be fixed by any garage in the country.

What they might be better off doing is offering the parts that people can't easily make themselves like the preformed cab cage, special steering links etc and let people do the other bits themselves.

Edited by Cynic-al

• 4 years later...

In the same boot,

I love the idea, hate the look.

I really like the concept of having it with a flat tray and then being able to swap (with a forklift or the like) other modules on the rear.

Not sure what they would contain, but it's in the back of my mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daveturnbull said:

They should just graft a Nissan cabstar cab on it. Damn sight better looking, and probably less work.

And while they're at it, graft the Nissan engine & gearbox for reliability. Oh and the axles. Ah, wait a mo...

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

And while they're at it, graft the Nissan engine & gearbox for reliability. Oh and the axles. Ah, wait a mo...

The early Cabstars were pretty bullet proof (a bit like a Tdi.....) the later ones very much not. All of them rust really well though in the cab mounts