Electric fuel pump for V8 on carbs

Jon W

I had a facet red top gold flo fuel pump in my V8 series on SU carbs and this has only lasted 2 years and very little mileage. Pump got very hot and expired letting out smoke and blowing the fuse. Leaving me stranded at the side of the road. Have opened the pump and there is no blockages so not sure what went wrong. When I brought this pump I didn’t realise it was too high pressure for carbs so put a fuel pressure regulator and filter on after the pum and before the carbs. Is this restriction likely to have caused issues? I also have an in-line filter before the pump as didn’t want any gunk getting into the pump and it’s filter. Tank is clean as it was new 2 years ago along with fuel line, so I’m pretty sure it’s not things blocking up causing the pump to burn out.

So which pump do I fit now to replace it, and do I carry a spare to prevent being stranded? 

Thanks 

Jon

I've had my silver top in the same setup for four years and still going strong, though I'm not running a filter ahead of it. I suspect the filter may have caused your failure, I'm sure I remember an app note saying not to do that. You could have just been unlucky, of course. 

No problem running the regulator though, they're designed to be run that way. 

My early 90 was a 2.25 petrol from the factory and had a facet style pump fitted, along with a filter ona bracket mounted the to outrigger behind the fuel tank and ahead of the drivers side rear wheel, it is still working to this day- so I'd say it might be worth a Google to see what the factory setup was (it's since been rehomed to a different vehicle and replaced with a V8 and efi stuff).

Like this:

*Edit- well that was a rubbish screenshot! Not sure why it looks blurry on here, when it's crystal clear on my phone...

Screenshot_20180619-221217.jpg

Edited by Quagmire

I've used an SU pump for years then upgraded to a new electronic version (same but no points). I did try a Facet but it leaked like a sieve!

At least with the SU I can hear it prime before starting.

2 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I think if you have the 6-screw fittin on top of the tank you can shorten a RRC/D1/110 in-tank pump and use that. Just don't use the EFI type for carbs!

Or even the in-tank pump from a carb'd V8 90. That's probably about the correct depth of pickup already.

Well i brought a bearmach pump for £28 or something like that designed for car V8 land rover of some sort. This seems to do the job, have fitted it and it runs. Just need to test or adjust the pressure on my filter pressure regulator thing yet (fitted because the last pump was too high pressure for the carbs.. So will do that next before taking it out on a test drive. Have also removed the filter before the pump in case this was causing any problems.

Thanks all 

Jon