Pillar drill old or new?

mad_pete

29 minutes ago, simonr said:

I needed to buy a new floor standing pillar drill (quickly) a few years ago.  I ended up buying an Axminster Trade series drill which was similar money.  I have to say, I'm still impressed with it!

It has a double belt reduction so can go very slow.  Most drills are way too fast.

The spindle is precise and it's well built.   It has a hand-chuck which, while quick, doesn't grip as tightly as I might like - but it's a minor criticism & easily changed if I felt the need.

We have one the same at work which is in constant use (abuse) and has lasted 5 years so far without showing any signs of wear.  I was using it on Friday.  In the environment I work in, 5 years is the equivalent of several lifetimes normal use!

This is good  to know as I have been considering an axminster bandsaw but having never seen one or access to a reliable review for any of the axminster gear I've held back will look at now with renewed interest ta very much  regards Stephen 

2 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

This is good  to know as I have been considering an axminster bandsaw but having never seen one or access to a reliable review for any of the axminster gear I've held back will look at now with renewed interest ta very much  regards Stephen 

I have one of their bandsaws too:

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-engineer-series-ue-812c-bandsaw-508332

It's also pretty good!

• Like 1

If you hang around you do pick up the odd bargains. Managed to score this (fully functioning) bandsaw for £100, note the Defender door for scale...

DSC_0410.thumb.JPG.2ce9212a4f26f296044dec84a0ff2e35.JPG

And this set of three (couldn't lift the 2G onto the table :blink:) Elliott Progress drills and bench for £150. The floor standing pillar drill I sold onto a member here.

784335157_DSC_0390(1).thumb.JPG.57b88b420be8f2d655e07d5f4536bbeb.JPG

They're certainly solid old beasts and feel much much more solid and precise than the more modern stuff my father has in his workshop.

Good if you can find them unfortunately when I'm looking for gear everything is invariably down south ( more population more kit for sale ) also I'm working out of a double garage so space limited something compact is better for me although once I get my portals done I will have more available space but I think you beat most of us hands down where space is concerned not jealous at all by the way ( that's such a lie ) regards Stephen 

4 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

If you hang around you do pick up the odd bargains. Managed to score this (fully functioning) bandsaw for £100, note the Defender door for scale...

I am starting to wish I lived in South Wales,.... that is just impossible here. Do let me know if there are any bargains you can't handle Ed! 🙄

You might prefer the South East then as the bandsaw came from Essex and the drills from Surrey.

But I might have a bigger mill, lathe and a shaper as a distinct possibility on the horizon once the workshop is sorted.

• 8 months later...
On 9/19/2018 at 9:28 PM, Ed Poore said:

Hmm. Just done a deal on 3 Elliotts for £150 :ph34r::P. They're all part of a bit T slot table.

44F1ECB8-D000-44CA-ABA6-22602F875734_zpstadiegpf.jpeg.98bc155f777e13d7d377d9e5031c0dd6.jpeg

All working but middle one needs a little attention.

Hi Edd, would you have an Elliott No.1 pulley cover I can purchase from you?

R