Viscous Fan wobble

Noticed a knocking coming from the front. There is play in the fan and its hitting the cowling on top. The fan is on tight but there is some movement when its still so assuming its the bearings in the fan. Is this a new fan job or can you get new bearings?

3 hours ago, Stambecco said:

Would that mean the water pump is on its way out?

No, on a TD5 the water-pump lives in a housing behind the PAS pump and is driven from an extension on the rear of of the PAS-pump: the only thing it has in common with the viscous fan is that they share a drive-belt.

Edited by Tanuki
  • Like 1

I had my 300Tdi timing cover modified with a new custom shaft and off-the-shelf bearings for about the same price as a new cover and bearing (not available separately and a very unusual bearing).  That way, future replacement will be cheaper and easy.  There will be details and photos on the RRC section of my blog.

This still feels a bit ambiguous about what is being talked about. Either the fan pulley bearing or the viscous unit bearing itself. Take the fan off and check for play in this nut in the photo below. I have seen one where the fan viscous bearing has disintegrated and this nut is rattling around. Then check for play on the fan pulley. Details on changing the fan pulley bearing: http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Fan_bearing.html

UDPPv.jpg