Finally took the new kid out!

Naks

16 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Not wishing to be negative - but wanting to share how I felt - it left me rather cold... 😳

Well it wasn't quite the Camel Trophy but given how much people grumble about the shiny stuff "Eeeeh it'll never get its tyres dirty" etc. etc. it's at least good to see some owners dipping a toe in the water.

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2018 at 6:13 PM, Anderzander said:

I get that - I think I just lack the emotional connection to them 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've owned a 2015 RR Sport in the past and it was a great car - plenty of performance on-road and with all its gadgets, plenty useful off-road. It had zero soul, though and i didn't have an ounce of remorse when i sold it.  I have an M4 now as well as the defender and it's just the same. Brilliant car, plenty of performance but ultimately just a shiny German box. I'll never sell my beloved Defender but i'm sure i'll go through a few more new things without caring about them.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Ok, it's been a while, and this is what the new child had been up to since I last posted this clip:

Mods: Replaced the rear lights with Glohh ones and replaced the resonator & centre silencer with straight pipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLAwx9AIVIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7oh_Kfx4M4

And been on a couple of outings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAYEInU9BRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8LTHvQ3LTc

Edited by Naks

1st video:

1) Nice to see it getting muddy.

2) Looked like you had fun.

3) This really is the new Land Rover.  A line of expensive station wagons driving slowly over a carefully modified flat paddock.  That makes me sad.

3rd video:

1) So, so much better!  Good on you for tackling that.

2) That steering lock is impressive.

3) Defenders are still better (ducks for cover) but that Series One looked the most fun...

4) Love that South Africa market 2.8 six cylinder.  Yum.

5) Great location!

Thanks @FridgeFreezer, and that was on open ground. You should hear it in town, children and dogs run away scared 🤣

Thanks @deep! Indeed, having done LRE courses almost  every year since 2008, it has gradually been 'dumbed' down because it has to start catering for the Evoque, and now the Velar, etc. We go mostly because it's free every time we get a new LR.

The last video was a club outing, and I must admit that I did get stuck on one obstacle, no matter what line I took. That same obstacle was also very problematic for a brand new D5, but he managed to clear it due to a few cms more clearance. I may have been able to if I had 275/55R20 tyres, which would have given me 1cm more.

but yeah, I bought it to drive fast and to go off-road 😎

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, deep said:

It did look like the D5 was a smidgeon further off the deck.  Just out of curiosity, what sort of pressures can you get away with on those very low profile tyres?

Well, those aren't that low-profile: standard size on the RRS is 275/40 IIRC. 

In the dunes, I dropped to 0.8 bar all around, and the road tyres float very nicely on the sand at that pressure. 

For the other outings, I stayed on road pressures (2.3F/2.5R), since the terrain was quite hard.

So far I've avoided doing very rocky trails due to having road tyres. Once I put on some ATs, that'll change 😁

I'll have to look up how big a "bar" is but looks like around a third of road pressure, so ta for that.  There's definitely a trade-off between unsprung weight and the flexibility of a deep sidewall. It's interesting how the Series Land Rovers in the background of the dune clip look to be going so well.  Skinny tyres at low pressure plus a light vehicle all come together, as I know from experience.  I enjoyed all those videos, thanks again.

12 hours ago, deep said:

I'll have to look up how big a "bar" is but looks like around a third of road pressure, so ta for that.  There's definitely a trade-off between unsprung weight and the flexibility of a deep sidewall. It's interesting how the Series Land Rovers in the background of the dune clip look to be going so well.  Skinny tyres at low pressure plus a light vehicle all come together, as I know from experience.  I enjoyed all those videos, thanks again.

1 bar is roughly atmospheric pressure, 14.5psi

• Like 1

Pounds per square inch is the standard measurement where I live, even though the country warmly welcomed the metric system decades ago.  I haven't welcomed it yet though.  Soulless and boring system.  Now that landroversforever has enlightened me (thank you), I can see that the bar unit makes sense and is not boring.

Note that tyre manufacturers still work in inches.  And millimetres.  At the same time...

Edited by deep
missed a bit

46 minutes ago, deep said:

Pounds per square inch is the standard measurement where I live, even though the country warmly welcomed the metric system decades ago.  I haven't welcomed it yet though.  Soulless and boring system.  Now that landroversforever has enlightened me (thank you), I can see that the bar unit makes sense and is not boring.

Note that tyre manufacturers still work in inches.  And millimetres.  At the same time...

OT, but a measurement system being soulless & boring? 

May I enlighten you with the newly-revised SI units, where the Kg (and other units) is no longer a lump of metal but defined by universal constants? Nothing soulless & boring about this, but a profoundly glorious science at work: https://www.bipm.org/en/measurement-units/

the imperial measurement systems is best thrown in the rubbish bin ;)

Edited by Naks