What Tyres

I think one thing is certainly clear - tyre choice is about as subjective as you can get! I had BFGs on the landy when i first bought it but two of the side walls collapsed well before the tread was worn down and that's when i went on to the Cooper STTs. They were fine if not a bit loud and cumbersome at 285 so i'm definitely going for 235s instead.

Here's what i'm currently thinking: https://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/235-85-16-general-grabber-at3-120-116s_04507000000?specs=24,59,66,

19 hours ago, reb78 said:

They dont make the AT2 anymore - it was a nice tyre though. The AT3 has replaced it ...... 

That's an interesting situation because AT2s appear to be available over here - Canada, but I haven't tried actually buying any. 

https://generaltire.com/sites/default/files/tires/files/GT18_Grabber-AT2_Tire_Spec_Pages.pdf

On the General Grabber site I also searched for AT3, but it came up with zero hits.  So, perhaps over here the current AT2 is the Euro AT3.  Just different marketing for different countries.

Mike

We run General AT3s on a few Toyotas in Africa and they seem very good so far, they  grip wet tarmac slightly better than BFG KO2s and are slightly quieter also. Cost-wise they were half the price which was the deciding factor but having used both on identical vehicles, we will stick with the AT3s going forwards.

I've heard good things about the AT3s and a lot of folk on here seem to be leaning towards them of the BGFs. I realised over the weekend that i have 16 x 10" modulars on the wagon. How does rim width affect tyre size choices? The 285s fit on there but will 235s work ok or am i better off with 265s?

Edit: Just realised i've been a numpty and i actually have 265/76/16s on mine rather than 285s! Question still stands i guess but are there any sizes in between 235 and 265 that are worth considering?

Double Edit: Also just measured my rims and i have 8" rather than 10". Don't you just love Mondays??

Edited by paime

On 10/12/2019 at 1:44 AM, Chicken Drumstick said:

Interesting tyre review here I watched earlier.

It basically showed that the MT tyres performed pretty much as well as all of the AT's in the wet and similar in the dry. But a lot better in the mud. It was only hard "dirt" the AT out performed the MT. And we don't really get such surfaces in the UK. The 'bigger' tyre also seemed to perform better on tarmac than the same tread and smaller.

That was worth watching just to hear that Ford V8 rumbling away in the background!  Interesting test, no real surprises but nice and objective.  A bit of muddy hill climbing would have opened up the comparisons though.

I'm genuinely amazed by the difference in road noise between the 265 mud terrains and 235 ATs. I can (almost) have a conversation with a passenger now which is nice. I've got a day's shooting at the weekend so looking forward to getting them in some mud to see how they handle.

• Like 1

Paime , please post your views after getting your ATs dirty , ive been following this thread with interest as im currently on an ageing set of 265/75/16 Traction Tracks , I only do shortish trips so the noise doesn't really bother me or the handling on the road  , as for laning again no dramas .

So i had the truck on a job near Inveraray last week which involved some soaking wet grass, gravel tracks and a bit of heavy mud. The tyres handled it no bother and it's such a nice feeling to be able to confidently enter into a dodgy area knowing there's a good chance i'm going to come back out again. Also had it in a wet field over the weekend and again no issues. It wasn't the toughest of off-roading but certainly challenging enough. I drove about 350 miles on the road to get to Inveraray as well and everything is a lot more refined than the old 265s. Chuffed with my purchase so far. The only problem i had was a knackered UJ after sitting at 60mph for a couple of hours but that's replaced now.

• Thanks 1

I'm running AT2'S in the same size on my 109 and I've been really happy with them. They tended to get clogged in heavy mud when I went on a play day, but about what you'd expect from an AT. Wet grass, snow, slippery roads, deep puddles at speed and gravel I've had no complaints at all, and they're inaudible under the V8. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

I'm running AT2'S in the same size on my 109 and I've been really happy with them. They tended to get clogged in heavy mud when I went on a play day, but about what you'd expect from an AT. Wet grass, snow, slippery roads, deep puddles at speed and gravel I've had no complaints at all, and they're inaudible under the V8. 

Nothing should be allowed to get in the way of a V8 burble! 😀

• Haha 1