Pallets?

Anderzander

I’ve an LT230 and R380 off my Td5 90 that I’m planning on putting on eBay - I was planning to just put them on for local pickup ... but I noticed that Parcels2Go now do pallet courier services, so I’m thinking of giving it a go - however Im w pallet newbie .. so please can I indulge some basic questions:

Are pallets a standard size? 

How would you secure something like the gearbox to one? 

They seem to give them away on the industrial estate round the corner - so I think I should have no problem getting hold of one.

Any advice welcomed!

Run a quote on national pallet:

https://www.nationalpallets.co.uk/

They have an excellent explanation of how they price. Full, half or quarter. Each have their own height and weight limits, but the size of the actual pallet is the same in every case. May vary with other companies, but should give you an idea. I've shipped quite a few engines and boxes on a half pallet. Tends to cost about £65 regardless where its from, which is frankly a bargain! 

For strapping stuff down, some luggage/roof rack ratchet strap sets you can buy in hardware stores are perfect. No need for the hefty haulier type you'd see on a lorry. 

They tend to want all fluids drained, by the way. 

Hope that helps :)

There are a few standard pallet sizes but usually they're happy if it's no more than 4' square. They'll also want to know weight. 

Things like engines and gearboxes are odd shapes underneath so I would cut timber into a cradle shape and nail them to the pallet then band or strap over it. You can also staple a plastic sheet to the pallet and wrap it around the gearbox to stop any leaks causing a problem. 

The downside to pallet services is the drivers don't like hanging around. They want to rock up and get unloaded by a forklift straight away. They get mildly upset if they have to use a pallet truck and their tail lift and wheeling it down a garden path or leaving a calling card and coming back the next day isn't going to happen. That's why I always say the buyer has to organise it.

• 2 weeks later...

And I would be a bit careful selling on ebay to a remote buyer when they use paypal. Of course the vast majority of ebayers are honest people, but there are a few who take advantage of the 'ebay guarantee' and claim faults with the goods even when theyre perfectly ok. And you then don''t have a leg to stand on - the very same 'ebay guarantee' ALWAYS means they side with the buyer and whip the funds back out of your account before you can say 'this buyer's a scammer'. If I need to sell large items these days its always cash on collection I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Agree with Joe, ebay does side with the buyer. You also can't turn off paypal as an option on a lot of listing types, I've tried putting it in the listing in bold but I'm afraid the average eBay user can't read. It's still the best way I've found to sell a lot of stuff though so I guess whilst they're on top you have to play by their rules.