A very short fuel consumption post...

ThreeSheds

I just thought some people might be interested in this...

53reg Discovery TD5 automatic with 18" wheels wearing BFG AT2's

I recently drove from Aberdeenshire to Portsmouth, then around the Picos De Europa for a few days, then back from Portsmouth to Aberdeenshire, and (Unusually for me) I kept a note of fuel and mileage. The numbers are below.

• Miles    litres    MPG   Notes
  • 518.8    74.29   31.75  Mainly motorway cruising at 60mph (Aberdeenshire to Portsmouth)
  • 243.2    44.78   24.69  Spain - sedate driving on mountain roads
  • 149.1   26.34    25.73  Spain - sedate driving on mountain roads
  • 309.6   58.82    23.93  Spain - sedate driving on mountain roads
  • 186.0   39.25    21.54  Spain - sedate driving on mountain roads
  • 550.8   75.40    33.20  Mainly motorway cruising at 60mph (Portsmouth to Aberdeenshire)

Totals:

• Miles     Litres     Average MPG
  • 2508.3  404.28   28.2

Other points of note  about this trip:

• I find it interesting that the Spanish bits vary so much in fuel consumption, and also that I used less fuel coming home from Portsmouth to Aberdeenshire (since it's uphill, obviously) than I did going
  • The engine had a mild oil leak when we set out (probably rear cam cover), and it no longer has (and yes - there IS still oil in it :D )
  • The suspension noticeably smoothed out during the trip - like maybe the shockers needed some exercise? (the car has been standing for a while before this trip)
  • The tyres (brand new BFG AT2s) were noticeably quiet to start with, but more noisy after a few hundred miles, to the extent that I was wondering about wheel bearings)
  • I got an XYZ warning light (M+S) once, but tazzing the stick back and forth with the ignition off cleared it
  • I got an ACE warning once (amber) but that also cleared by turning the ignition off and on again.
  • There were no other problems at all... :)

All in all I had a great trip and the Disco is a wonderful touring vehicle.