Dual Sim phones

Blanco

Just flying/floating this on spec.....

Have a Samsung S5 now 4 years old which is breaking up as I never did manage a heavy duty case for it and the screen is now toast. It is a dual sim phone which I now keep UK and Irish sims installed. (Back in the day it was UK and French). I would get the screen replaced, but its probably about €100 with no guarantees and I suspect the sound on my microphone is now compromised from dirt and moisture through the cracks.

Does anyone else out there use dual sim, and have a tip on a good replacement please, at four years before technical or physical obsolescence I reckon  3 or 400 is plenty to spend, which rules out the s8's and s9's,   the biggest change in 4 years seems to be that you cant replace the battery in anything these days?

Don't bother with fixing the phone - the operating system updates will start affecting performance as much as the decaying battery.  It won't be long before it's unsupported, at least from a security perspective.  I had a dual sim Motorola a few years ago, cheap but poor quality, and the way the sims were handled wasn't good - you could accept incoming calls on either, but only make outgoing on the sim in slot 1, so make sure the new phone has the ability to select outgoing sim for all comms easily.

I have the Samsung Galaxy J5 Duos for work, with UK and Irish sim. The dual sim functionality is great and you can choose default sim for messaging, calls etc. It only allows data usage from one sim at a time and you do have to remember to switch that over (in the settings, not physically) to the other sim when you travel although it doesn't make a difference now the roaming charges have been abolished.

The only gripe I have with it is that if you miss a call or want to re-dial a number and go to the recent calls list it doesn't give you the option to re-dial from sim 1 or 2, it just dials from default which is confusing for someone who has called you on a different number, or if they dont like answering "foreign" numbers. The way I get around that is copying the number and pasting it into the dialler, which sounds more complex than it is.

Other than that its the best Samsung phone I've owned, although I've only had work-issued Samsung products so can't comment on how it compares to the latest top of the range models.

I have an S7 edge and it's not a patch on the old S5. I've replaced screens myself and it's not that hard if your patient and have a paint stripper gun. might be worth looking at as a low cost option if the rest of it still functions, I did my wifes ipad a few weeks ago and it was only £20 for the screen kit including tools and glue strips.

I bought a dual sim Motorola X4 a couple of months ago and all seems fine. Actually prefer it to my last iphone [which of course was not dual] which gave up the ghost after a year or so. I don't do contracts any more - nor do I like spending silly money on fruit or other make phones.

• Like 1

Thanks lads,..... I have tried screens myself and decided its for peeps with more luck than I have!!

The One + looks a tad over budget but I'll have a look. The Motorola looks about right, just a bit worried by all the glass, got some more research to do.

Was looking at CAT S41, Samsung A6, and Nokia 6, Its a different world and there is a lot to try and take in to make meaningful comparisons.

I have one of these xiaomi with Android one, and very happy... No manufacturer carp apps

Can use sim + Microsd card

Or dual SIM

Or with an adapter.... Dual SIM plus micro SD card.

Think of it as exactly the same as the Google pixel which runs pure android exactly the same as this

I have a protector for it... But at that cost I'm happy to buy another if it smashed it

It's very similar to the Samsung i have for work, but way better.  Bought it on AliExpress for a little less than i could get it as linked.

They do a 32gb and 64gb one... I went with the 64gb as I wanted the space 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ms-android-xiaomi-rev2&ei=3yk9W_CbFNLzkwWYj43oCQ&q=xiaomi+mi+a1+64gb+black&oq=xiaomi+mi+a1+64gb+bl&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.0l3j0i22i30l2.11156.11895..12954...0....88.254.3......0....1.........0i71j0i67.2Sb8v1RO13M.

11 hours ago, Arjan said:

You could consider getting an Otterbox protection for the phone of your choise.

Works well.

I did for the S5....... it turned up in the post (La Poste) having been driven over by the artic lorry that brought from the depot, it didn't survive! As the S5 was the outgoing model then they didn't do any more and I never did see a second hand one, hence the current problem really.

Thanks Robert for your recommendation, I presume with the Chinese sourced stuff you take the chance on it working straight from the box?

I had an otterbox defender on a Samsung which did stop me cracking the screen but it got a lot of grit in it which rubbed between the phone and case which mean't I couldn't sell it for a good price when I got a replacement. The defender has a plastic screen cover (not stuck on) which also got wrecked by the grit. I got an otterbox commuter? for the S5 which didn't have this problem as it was a stick on screen protector and tighter fitting case and was a better choice for me but didn't last the whole time I had the phone. Now I just buy cheap cases and replace them when I break them are the otterbox are a fortune. If you want a screen / dash mount for an otterbox I can recommend a slip grip mount, they properly fit the phone in the case.

I had the mid range Otterbox for my iPhone 3 years ago and it was brilliant.  It protected the phone very well from all the times I threw it at the wall or floor because of Apple's terrible quality.  I now have a SlimArmour case on my Nexus and that has been very effective too.

2 hours ago, Blanco said:

Thanks Robert for your recommendation, I presume with the Chinese sourced stuff you take the chance on it working straight from the box?

I did not have a problem, because its Android One it is "pure Android", i.e. there is near zero manufacturer input into it.

Worked in english out of the box, all the updates arrive directly from google every month, I don't have the wait for the manufacturer to decide when they want to release something etc.

Have a read of android-one here:  https://www.android.com/one/

Xiaomi apparently released the A1 to rival the google pixel at a much lower price, there is a review here:

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/xiaomi-mi-a1

The phone is essentially exactly the same as their xiaomi Mi 5, except because its android-one it does not come with their apps (like the samsung browser etc), you can install any apps you want, but it just comes with the default google apps (chrome, maps, gmail etc) from that you can install whatever else you want firefox waze etc.  and you have no wasted space with unable to remove manufacturers apps.

I transferred / cloned my old phone without issue to the new one just followed the walkthrough when powering up.

On previous phones (Iphone 4 + motorola motoG) I went through (smashed / fell appart / bits fell off) about 4 / 5 otterboxes.

At least with this phone I'm not worried about a £400+ phone that I keep for 4 years and it costs me ~£100 / year.... I can afford to buy a new one every 18 months at ~£150 and still be at the same cost of a phone...

I got mine from here, arrived DHL in about a week

https://www.tobydeals.co.uk/en_GB/product/xiaomi-mi-a1-dual-sim-64gb-black-1.html

looks like its gone up as I only paid £129.99

On 7/4/2018 at 4:13 PM, Blanco said:

Thanks lads,..... I have tried screens myself and decided its for peeps with more luck than I have!!

The One + looks a tad over budget but I'll have a look. The Motorola looks about right, just a bit worried by all the glass, got some more research to do.

Was looking at CAT S41, Samsung A6, and Nokia 6, Its a different world and there is a lot to try and take in to make meaningful comparisons.

I've had Otterboxes for the last couple of phones - and they are good, very good.

I got a Spigen shock case for this X4 and a pack of tempered glass screen protectors. I've dropped it a few times and so far so good [touch wood].

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update due here..... was wondering what had happened to my order, ..... so back on the Toby site, .... couldn't remember if I 'opened' an account or not but failed to sign on and checking up on my credit card nothing at all has come through???? Can't find anything at all in the way of order confirmation although I was sure the purchase had gone through. So given it one more crack having assumed that I have been a complete numpty. Have opened an account this time and Chrome promises to remember the password..... I have also used Paypal and they have sent me an immediate confirmation this time! Only slip up is that I was seduced by the bargain price of a Nokia 7, so will be trying  the android-one but not with a chinese hat!

• 2 weeks later...

So the new phone turned up yesterday, almost exactly 3 weeks from the (2nd attempt) order.20180730_141531.thumb.jpg.c1ba4466e9e1fb69c7bac2a6e9d8e0b6.jpg

It is definitely 'Android-one'....... although when I attempted to clarify that with the vendor they seemed to know less about it than I did, (ie zilch)

20180730_141547.thumb.jpg.d0581473608ee13d84bbafa309490072.jpg

As you can see the instructions are easy to follow.

That said it comes about £70 cheaper than the UK mainstream vendors and the phone itself worked in English straight away. Although I seem to have a couple of apps for Chinese character input that I suspect aren't loaded in the UK. All in all I am very pleased, it feels solid, and whilst it wasn't quite the 'throwaway' price Robert was talking about above it was still well within the original budget I set.

At present I am still trying to transfer my life from one to the other, amazing how involved you get in your phone even if you don't consider yourself phone orientated (like me, which sort of also favours not changing it too often, although perhaps a forced periodic reassessment and clear out is a good thing?).

Currently have one sim in each as only the later Irish sim card was pre-cut to be reduced to nano. 

All the apps have copied accross but I haven't checked to see that everything connects. Yahoo mail for example had to ask me on the old phone if it was me trying to connect from the new phone, I guess there may be others like that.

One consequence of all this is that I will have to say goodbye to my old French e-mail, as I don't remember the password, and I don't think it can be recovered from the old phone.

Not all the photos have come across either, haven't quite sussed that yet. ..... This could take a while..............

Edited by Blanco
spelling

Yep, last time I just went into the first phone shop I came to and asked them to cut it, saves any risk and quicker than waiting.

Trouble I have at the minute is copying over contacts, a few that are in an old Google account are visible but NFC doesn't seem to work for the others,  any thoughts?