Northern Paul

Guidance on removing front sidelights & indicators Ex Military 90

Good morning,

As per the title thread really. I have limited electrical / mechanical knowledge & have removed the screw on lenses & bulbs. How do I remove the lamp units from the wing panels?

Any guidance or pictures would be gratefully received. I am at work for another week or so thus have no access to the vehicle presently. 

Cheers, Paul

Easier done than explained,  Unscrew front glass cover, remove bulb.  You’re now looking at a circular plate that has what looks like a black rubber washer round it, this is the front lip of the water proof shroud that extends through the wing.  Carefully and easy, prise this lip/shroud out towards you clear of the indicator body.  You should see 2/3 screws that hold the indicator body to the wing, remove screws and the body will come forward allowing you to disconnect the wires.

I find it easiest to push the bulb holder from the back to get it out.

1 hour ago, Red90 said:

I find it easiest to push the bulb holder from the back to get it out.

Yep you’re right.  I was remembering the rear light I took out, the back end was full of wet mud so I winkled it out from the front to save me getting caked.  

Excellent - hopefully these will be out easily when I get back from work. Thanks for your replies Paddy & Red90

Paul

Hello again,

I got massively distracted last time I was home and only had a quick look at the lights; I saw how they came out but didn't actually remove them.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing them with standard style lamps but Wipac LED versions; I run lamp guards & the Wipac LED maps are waterproof to IP67 which should suffice for my offroading these days.

Question is; once I have removed the original military lights, are the standard 73mm lights a straight swap. 

Also, any reason not to do this?

Cheers, Paul

If you do the indicators, you will also need to fit a new flasher relay and modify the dash indicator light or fot load resistors.

Yup, already have LEDs on rear so have flasher relay in place.

Any idea if 73mm lights are a straight swap size wise with Military ones?

They are just lights that screw on the outside of a flat panel.  Anything will work.

Just a personal preference, I'd stick with the military items, far more robust.