What is the best way to clean out the inside of an intercooler ?

Arjan

I have several Intercoolers (200 & 300 Tdi) that have oil - lots of oil - in them.

What is the best way to clean them and making sure there is no resedu left that could / wil harm the engine once fitted again ?

Thanks

If it's the usual Landy problem of being well oiled, then I'd  toss in a liter or 2 of petrol, slosh it about to dissolve the oil and then throw it out. Then, mix up a batch of dishwash soap and water and fill it to soak for a while, drain and partially fill so you can slosh it about to move the soap through the fins. Finally, rinse with water.

Another vote for white spirit. What ever solvent you use make sure all the residual fumes have evapourated before refitting. Don't be tempted use anything caustic as a cleaning agent on aluminium parts.

4 hours ago, Jon W said:

When putting it back on just run the engine with the bottom hose connected, then it is dried out with the air passing through it and nothing will end up in the engine

Or with the current weather leave it ports downwards in the sun all day - it will soon be too hot touch!

• 2 weeks later...

I normally fill them with petrol and seal the necks up and leave them for 24 hrs then empy it out and iff need be refill it and give it a good shake then empy it out again and leave it outside to vent, the last one i did i used a full tine of Tornado RC fuel that cleaned it out 

Edited by Cornish Rattler
Spelling