TD5 speedo display

Hi everyone, I am new to this (forums and vehicle rebuilds) so please  bear with me. We are rebuilding a Land Rover 101 and have replaced the engine/gearbox with one from a discovery. As part of the rebuild we replaced the 101 speedo with a TD5 one. We are wanting to correct the mileage readout on the digital display of the TD5 speedo to match that done by the engine which is approx 115k. However ... we noted that the TD5 speedo display only has 5 figures followed by a decomal point then another figure - so can read to 99 999.9. What happens to the display once the 99 999.9 is breached - does the decimal point disappear so the 6 figures can read the 100k or does the readout start from zero again and one has to remember that there is a 1 in front of it. Thanks for your help. Lucy.

Hi Ian,

thanks for your help. We bought the 101 about 5 years ago and have completely stripped it down. Family project - sort of - when my husband is in the country and my son back from (then)uni now work. I have done most of the bodywork through to respray. Huge learning curve throughout the project. Getting towards the end now. Working through the electrics with lots of help from my dad. Will include pic of the original state and one from today.

Thanks again, Lucy.

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_9877.JPG

Thanks everyone, at the moment we are planning to work up the mileage mechanically with the aid of the Disco sender unit and a motor. Probably/definitely more time consuming than reprogramming

Thanks again, Lucy.

HI, we have changed the 101 diffs and are using larger tyres than on the Disco too so we have a gadget which can adjust the speed readout. Yes, we are aware that the Disco sender emits 2x the pulses of the Defender. I have already replaced the Disco sender with a Defender (? bought by my son so don't really know) one. We are using the Disco sender on the bench to wind up the mileage. Lots of fun and head scratching going on. Thanks Lucy.

• Like 1

Hardest part is that you need to carefully remove the bezel fromt the front of the speedo, without damaging it. Easily done with a thin blunt blade. If you can't solder small parts, buy a clip from ebay for a few quid, attach to a raspberry pi. Run a simple script and thats it.

Have a look at this thread and ignore all the geeky discussion in the middle...

If you can work out the pulses per mile you can probably sell your speedo gadget for more than the cost of the r-pi, and then you can sell the r-pi as well :i-m_so_happy:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 3:14 PM, CwazyWabbit said:

Also in case you are unaware the Disco sender outputs twice as many pulses per revolution as a Defender one. ;)

IIRC there a 3 different sender models (blue, yellow, green?) each for a different tx case ratio

• 2 months later...

Regarding Td5 speedo run up.

After I got Cwazy Rabbit to sort out a Td5 speedo for me I then promptly waited 60k to fit it so had to do some catch up without sending it back to him... I just plugged it into a battery and used a blob of bluetac to center the speedo sender to the center of a 12v computer fan, I think I worked out the speedo tops out at something like 250mph, after some trial and error measuring I worked out how many hours it needed to run for and then just let it do it - I had it set up running for a week or so and voila... pretty clunky and certainly lacks finesse but it got the job done.

20180304_102841.thumb.jpg.0fbc0728b3a9f219d3cb5a95ba7eca96.jpg

• Like 2

I had them top out much faster than that, the needle stops responding (I think, was quite a few years ago now) but the mileage still went up. Each speedo was slightly different though. Hmmm, now I think about it perhaps the sender is the limiting factor as I was using a function generator so didn't need the sender.

Anyway, so long as it works then who cares how it looks :D 

You've also got a far clearer bench than I have ever had.