Troubles starting 2.5NA 110

1985 2.5NA 110

I'm having a bit of trouble intermittently starting my 110 -- it struggles a bit to start sometimes, and today when I turned the key, nothing, no click, no turnover of the engine.  Until, i bridged in my second battery (I have an optima gel cell and an isolator) and it started right up.

A few weeks ago, I was having similar starting issues, and checked what I thought were the usual suspects: had the main battery tested at the parts store (showed fine and fully charged), checked and cleaned the grounds, and was convinced I had solved the problem with a loose connection on the ground strap to the main battery.  Cleaned and tightened that, but it looks like that was not it, or my only problem.

Ideas for other things to check?

-Evan-

On the starter is the solenoid (The bump on the side). If you undo the two nuts on the Ali casting end you can slide it back a little smear the plunger with copper slip, work it back and forth then reassemble. It is possible to do this in situ but disconnect the battery first.

This worked on my 200tdi with similar symptoms 

Mike

I had this exact fault and chased it for weeks, blamed the battery, starter relay, the alternator testing each in turn and finding no fault till eventually found a faulty starter motor was draining the battery with a sticking solenoid, swaped for a recon unit and haven't had a problem since (last 3years) 

Hello,

Might be worth getting a multi-meter should be about £15 ($20), and checking with everything off, to see if there is a leak occurring, both on the positive and negative wires. You could also check between the earth points, and battery earth terminal with jumper leads to see if there is any difference between the voltage, if there is clean them again.

Given how warm it is, and dry should not be an earthing issue with salt that we'd get here or in a harsher climate.

Sean