110 Fuel Tank Cradle query

My tank started leaking last week (naturally when I filled the whole thing and aux tank to the neck ready to go off somewhere!) so have ordered a replacement tank.  Current tank as I have fitted has no cradle/stone guard but I do have a huge alloy tank guard covering the whole thing. Question: is the cradle necessary for tank support, or optional?

Hi it’s optional and has the same holes as the tank. However I found it an absolute pig of a job to fit. Really really hard. The guard doesn’t seem to be the correct shape and to get it to closely fit the tank and therefore to get the holes to match, is where the swearing helps. 

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Hi it’s optional and has the same holes as the tank. However I found it an absolute pig of a job to fit. Really really hard. The guard doesn’t seem to be the correct shape and to get it to closely fit the tank and therefore to get the holes to match, is where the swearing helps. 

Thanks!   I seem to recall that nightmare from 20 years ago when I replaced a tank & cradel. I'll refit the new one without and be less stressed!

Ork18jmp9804.jpg.32fe387b98708c3ea1de631ee63f2e4d.jpgOrk18jmp9817.jpg.62a9d827105ab91ddf604a5b488e9fbd.jpg

Well its complicated....(its a Land Rover!)   But yes - pictures!

My front bulkhead around the vents and the wipers has rotted. The wiper on the drivers side was staying there, and working, only because the wheelbox was held at the back (inside). My footwells have given up too. So......I've got the family gone for two weeks and amassed the bits to repair it all - a pair of footwells, and got my mate to fold a piece of steel so I can cover the entire vent bit below the windscreen - I dont use the vents and they're  a leak hazard.

As I got ready to start this the fuel tank gave up! So I added that to the list.

SO, starting Sunday I built a tent frame with 3x2's and put a giant tarpaulin over it using the Land Rover roofrack as a support (and my drive slopes so should shed the water). So I'm (hopefully) dry.

I decided not to cut out all the vent/bulkhead metal - only the outer skin on the drivers side was gone - and the wiper boxes need a specific dimension outside to inside to be in their correct position - and as the bulkhead in that part is a peculiar double-walled section I retained the inside portion so the wiper boxes align (I hope!) and cut out all the rusty stuff, treated any surface rust and overpainted it, then replaced a totally corroded inner section with a fancy shaped piece I had in the shed which I think is a strengthening piece for  rear mounted wheel carrier in the back door (or something like that) but which luckily is the correct dimensions to give the proper section.

So here's where I'm at.

Front piece is in - local independent LR mechanic advised me not to seam weld the plate as it would likely warp but instead to tack at intervals and fill with Tiger Seal. Thats apparently what they do regularly. As I've not removed all the metal only the left end/drivers side (and rebuiot that underneath)  it should be strong enough. Once I cut out the vent mesh I was able to get the mastic gun in from inside and fill it with seal (releasing VAST quantities of isocyanate fumes - grim - even outside).

I'm too knackered to sort these out in order - just in from painting the tank - I;m sure you can mentally sort out the pictures! (if you get it wrong and think I'm building a Morris Traveler and that what the wood is for go and stand in the naughty corner....)

PS... Yes I'm aware this has nothing to do with the rear end and fitting a tank....that'll be in a few days time I hope!

Ork18jmp9802.jpg

Ork18jmp9824.jpg

Ork18jmp9826.jpg

Ork18jmp9829.jpg

Ork18jmp9834.jpg

Ork18jmp9846.jpg

Ork18jmp9854.jpg

Ork18jmp9804.jpg

Ork18jmp9817.jpg

Ork18jmp9816.jpg

Edited by Jocklandjohn
  • Like 1

Hi I had been watching your lifting roof project and then i lost track of it. Were you able to finish it ? I would like to see how it went. Only found this fuel tank project looking for options for better 2nd row seats in a 110.

Not a bad idea for the front vent panel but with the weather we have had lately the stoneage air conditioning was nice if only operational with forward motion. 😜

Edited by bushwhacker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bushwhacker said:

Hi I had been watching your lifting roof project and then i lost track of it. Were you able to finish it ? I would like to see how it went. Only found this fuel tank project looking for options for better 2nd row seats in a 110.

Not a bad idea for the front vent panel but with the weather we have had lately the stoneage air conditioning was nice if only operational with forward motion. 😜

Yes its all done and working. Just had a week away with family in it to Orkney, two of us sleeping upstairs, wee fella in his drop down bed above the front seats and the dog in the back on the floor. Very comfortable.

Gairl77316.jpg

STjmp3665.jpg

WTArkaigDec73919.jpg

Ork18jmp9543.jpg

Ork1796489.jpg

Ork1796761.jpg

Gairl77318.jpg

Edited by Jocklandjohn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1