Cornish Rattler

Just bought a metal detector

Finding the bits that have dropped off?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Glue said:

Finding the bits that have dropped off?

Yeah there must be loads of nuts, bolts and washer's I've lost over the years ☺️

Always useful if you've ever lost a nut or bolt in the grass or stone drive :)

Alternative... Big old speaker magnet on a string.... Dragged back and forth over the suspect area... ;)

13 hours ago, robertspark said:

Always useful if you've ever lost a nut or bolt in the grass or stone drive :)

Alternative... Big old speaker magnet on a string.... Dragged back and forth over the suspect area... ;)

The only thing is the detector I've bought is for beach detecting and won't be much use on land ☹️

The beach isn't land?

On 7/21/2018 at 9:03 PM, Cornish Rattler said:

Hi guys

For when the landy is back on the road... 

...so you can find good bits of metal to weld to?

9 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

The beach isn't land?

The minerals in beach sand are different to the minerals in soil or what ever, you can use a land metal detector on a beach and a beach metal detector on land but they will give a lot of falls readings as they both have different sensertivities depending what you are looking for, also beach detectors can work under water aswell which mine will do but most land detectors won't, think that's how I've been told and read up but I could be wrong as I am still a novice at this ☺️

Gave it a quick try in the garden yesterday using an old washer and it worked ok but the real test will be on a beach which is what its intended for ☺️

...well I've learnt something, thought soil was soil, didn't know that you get land and beach detectors , thanks

No I didn't either as I was going to go for a Garret ace 250 which isn't a beach detector but lots of detectorist's use them one beaches as they are pretty good but ive watched a few tests comparing the ace 250 and the 4pi and the 4pi is a far better machine so I will have to see ☺️

Mate of mine went beach detecting once got all the signals beeps ect, dug down two foot and realised he's got steel toe cap boots on, dd

46 minutes ago, defender dinky said:

Mate of mine went beach detecting once got all the signals beeps ect, dug down two foot and realised he's got steel toe cap boots on, dd

Haha yeah you've just reminded me my wellies are steel toe caped so will have to get new ones :D

I've just ordered a plastic shovel to mod for metal detecting ( drill loads of holes into for drainage and to cut the sides down to allow it to cut into the sand ) :)

The higher end detectors can be set to a wide variety of different soils/sands/moisture contents, etc. Indeed, if you've a mind to, some of them can be programmed to custom discrimination maps. I can't be bothered to do that with mine though, so just select the appropriate settings and off I go!

14 hours ago, Paddy_SP said:

The higher end detectors can be set to a wide variety of different soils/sands/moisture contents, etc. Indeed, if you've a mind to, some of them can be programmed to custom discrimination maps. I can't be bothered to do that with mine though, so just select the appropriate settings and off I go!

Yeah I will see how this one goes then I mite upgrade to something better later :)

My new plastic spade has just arrived so tomorrow whilst i'm working on the 2a I will have ago at making it into a sand scoop :)