Just bought a metal detector

13 hours ago, robertspark said:

Always useful if you've ever lost a nut or bolt in the grass or stone drive :)

Alternative... Big old speaker magnet on a string.... Dragged back and forth over the suspect area... ;)

The only thing is the detector I've bought is for beach detecting and won't be much use on land ☹️

9 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

The beach isn't land?

The minerals in beach sand are different to the minerals in soil or what ever, you can use a land metal detector on a beach and a beach metal detector on land but they will give a lot of falls readings as they both have different sensertivities depending what you are looking for, also beach detectors can work under water aswell which mine will do but most land detectors won't, think that's how I've been told and read up but I could be wrong as I am still a novice at this ☺️

No I didn't either as I was going to go for a Garret ace 250 which isn't a beach detector but lots of detectorist's use them one beaches as they are pretty good but ive watched a few tests comparing the ace 250 and the 4pi and the 4pi is a far better machine so I will have to see ☺️

The higher end detectors can be set to a wide variety of different soils/sands/moisture contents, etc. Indeed, if you've a mind to, some of them can be programmed to custom discrimination maps. I can't be bothered to do that with mine though, so just select the appropriate settings and off I go!

14 hours ago, Paddy_SP said:

The higher end detectors can be set to a wide variety of different soils/sands/moisture contents, etc. Indeed, if you've a mind to, some of them can be programmed to custom discrimination maps. I can't be bothered to do that with mine though, so just select the appropriate settings and off I go!

Yeah I will see how this one goes then I mite upgrade to something better later :)