Just bought a metal detector

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, Cynic-al said:

I prefer the photos infront of the Land Rover to the ones in the bedroom.

I think you should be spending more time on that than scouring beaches :D

Yeah I've altered it now by cutting the end of the blade down and rounding the edges off just not done anymore pic's yet 

22 hours ago, signalmtb said:

Be ready for lots of fat guys with black socks jokes ... I've endured them. and found lots of cool stuff along the way, and the kids love it

Yeah I've just been on the Crown Estate map looking at all the beaches I can do mainly around Wales and Angelsey, can't wait now as i'm hoping to be going to Barmouth at the end of the month camping so will take the detector and sand scoop with me and see how I get on :D

Edited by Cornish Rattler

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:07 AM, Cornish Rattler said:

Yeah I've just been on the Crown Estate map looking at all the beaches I can do mainly around Wales and Angelsey, can't wait now as i'm hoping to be going to Barmouth at the end of the month camping so will take the detector and sand scoop with me and see how I get on :D

Not going now, can't get time off so will have to rethink when I can go :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well son rang me on Friday just before I went on work to ask if I fancied going to Barmouth and they would pic me up when I finished work ( they went on Thursday ) so I said yes, anyway I gave the detector ago on Saturday evening didn't find much as the plastic spade was useless and couldn't dig much so I left it where the bins are on the site and now on the lookout for a metal sand scoop now :(

• 1 month later...

Joan Allen http://www.joanallen.co.uk/Gadgets-s/324.htm

does this plastic sand scoop. I think working with a metal one will drive you insane but I don’t know that. A plastic gold pan, a plastic trowel and a pinpointer are my normal detectoring accompanyments. I never tried the beach yet, I’ll be interested to hear how you get on.

F4F786F0-A232-4C6E-BC67-F4A796C907E8.jpeg

15 hours ago, Jamie_grieve said:

Joan Allen http://www.joanallen.co.uk/Gadgets-s/324.htm

does this plastic sand scoop. I think working with a metal one will drive you insane but I don’t know that. A plastic gold pan, a plastic trowel and a pinpointer are my normal detectoring accompanyments. I never tried the beach yet, I’ll be interested to hear how you get on.

F4F786F0-A232-4C6E-BC67-F4A796C907E8.jpeg

Yeah when I was thinking about getting into metal detecting I did think about a plastic hand scoop as they work well but I would have thought for anyone with a back problem / older person perhaps my struggle with a hand scoop, originally I was going with the plastic spade idea as that also looked a good idea as I liked the idea of running the detector over it after you have dug a target out from the hole as I don't have a pin pointer yet and also would have been easier filling in holes with it instead of using your feet but the spade I used wasn't eggzackly the right one as seen on some of the youtube vid's think it was slightly bigger but either I had cut it wrong / put too many holes in it or it just wasn't up to the job as it was hard to cut into sand where as the Drapper ones on youtube do but are sometimes hard to find so after trying out my plastic spade scoop I decided on getting a metal one and be done with it :)

Well we ended up going to Barmouth yesterday instead of today and once we got there we could see that there was a dirt bike meeting in progress on the beach so had to detect further up the beach, anyway I had a great few hours on the beach was a bit cold I was ok but my son and missus was getting cold so after 4 hours we decided on having a pint and some pub lunch and headed back home, anyway here is a pic of my finds before I washed them 

20181028_123251.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, qwakers said:

get yourself a bin at the back of the garage/outside the back door and just lob any steel into it. any offcuts out of the garage, old brake disks etc goes in too. when its full itll be worth a few quid :D

Yeah tbh I don't bother with bits of scrap I just let the mobile scrap man have it unless its really heavy like a cutup chassis or something then I will weigh it in myself but I do plan to collect old fishing weights for weighing in and I was surprised I didn't find any yesterday as there was lots of peeps fishing :)