O/T - Pooter help required!

bishbosh

Evening all.

So we are heading off in the Full Fat next week for 10 days in France and [shudder] there will be two 9 year olds in the back.

Being the organised type, SWMBO has purchased an audio book from iTunes for the ankle biters to enjoy. However,  for us to be able to listen to it in the RR it needs to be in MP3 format. Currently it is in protected AAC format and as I am unlikely to need to do it again, I don't want to pay a lot of cash for a converter - there are plenty of them about but the trial versions only give you 3 minutes - not a lot of use for an 8 hour book! :D:D 

So, my question to the illustrious assembled readership is does anyone have a converter and would they be willing to convert this book? Forum donation if we can make this work!

Thanks all!

Bish.

No idea - I don't do iTunes at all..

We either use Nero (very old fashioned) to convert CD's to MP or " Audacity " to record anything coming through the speakers in an array of formats for later use. I listen to some very onscure online radio stations and this allows me to "play" them in MP3 in the cars.

32 GB. gets you a lot of MP3 music...

Bon Courage

It will only play on your account if it's protected, if it weren't protected then you could use iTunes to convert it for you as it will do for CDs etc...

If it's protected you won't be able to send it to anyone.

Do you have a Mac or PC ? As Arjan has suggested the best and easiest way to convert them is to use some software that records the sound while you play it. I've used SoundTap in the past for this on Mac, I think it's also available for PC. You can get a free unlimited 14 day trial version...

The cheat way to do that would be to buy a 3.5mm jack to jack cable, plug it from the line out or headphones socket, back into the line in. Set it to play, record with Audacity or similar. They can put all the stupid digital hurdles they want in the way, but no blocking good old analog :)

Edited by lo-fi

33 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

The cheat way to do that would be to buy a 3.5mm jack to jack cable, plug it from the line out or headphones socket, back into the line in. Set it to play, record with Audacity or similar. They can put all the stupid digital hurdles they want in the way, but no blocking good old analog :)

There's a better way - you can download (free) a bit of software called a "Virtual audio cable" which basically does the whole "audio output from one piece of software piped into the input of another piece of software" without the need for any wires at all!

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Audio_Cable

Protected AAC you may struggle but if it's doable it'll be doable for free, all the paid-for stuff is only ever someone putting a shiny skin over something already out there to turn a buck or two.

Windows, Mac or Linux?

Going for 100% free open-sauce options I'd vote:

ffmpeg or one of the many many things based off it should convert/play/transcode almost anything to anything else, although it would likely be command line based and require a little RTFM.

Audacity or VLC media player also worth a shot.