D2 2001 Air suspension deflation method.

freff

I'm about to make a start on replacing the air springs on my 2001 D2 TD5.

i am quite clear on the procedure except when it comes to de-pressurising the system.

I don't really want to disturb the compressor if l can help it, or assassinate the bag with a sharp screwdriver.

Can I use a SLS Air Suspension Key Fob that is normally used to lower the suspension when hitching heavy trailers etc,

I assume it would  deflate the system, but unsure if I might encounter any problem. Many thanks for any help.

Tony

Stabbing them with a sharp knife works well,you can then twist the knife to control the rate of deflation. I usually support the car properly to stop it from lowering. I then cut the bags right in half to make them very easy to remove. It also means nobody is tempted to try reusing them.

Not sure if this is the approved method (or even if it works for everyone) but I noticed a while ago that after having my D2 on axle-stands under the chassis so that the axle was hanging, and running the engine, when I put it on it's wheels again the bags were totally deflated...

2 hours ago, Ally V8 said:

Stabbing them with a sharp knife works well,you can then twist the knife to control the rate of deflation. I usually support the car properly to stop it from lowering. I then cut the bags right in half to make them very easy to remove. It also means nobody is tempted to try reusing them.

+1 for that^^^  simple and efficient