Stainless exhaust query

I did a search but could't find an answer...so...

I'm contemplating fitting a stainless exhaust - I previously had one but the clamps were not stainless and rotted, and several times I had to get them replaced (until last time when the mechanic totally screwed up the system) at which ppint I fitted a mild steel system as a temporary fix. The winter salt on our roads up here means stuff dissolves rapidly though so the mild steel is getting grotty and will need replacing soon hence the stainless option.

Anyway - simple question - any idea of which manufacturer makes their exhausts with stainless clamps or flanges so I can fit and forget?  My vehice is a 110 2.5TD/19J which has been replaced with 200Tdi and still using the 4 part 19J system and 2.5TD down pipe.

Any suggestions welcome!

I’ve had a couple of stainless systems made for my 200TDi’s by The Longlife agent in Glenrothes. They bend and build the system to suit and I’ve been very impressed. I’m sure they only use mild steel clamps and I’ve replaced them at least one but the system hadn’t moved, I just heard the jangling sound of the rusty clamp on the pipe. An alternative would be to get them to fully weld the system so no clamps are used.

3 hours ago, Fatboy said:

I’ve had a couple of stainless systems made for my 200TDi’s by The Longlife agent in Glenrothes. They bend and build the system to suit and I’ve been very impressed. I’m sure they only use mild steel clamps and I’ve replaced them at least one but the system hadn’t moved, I just heard the jangling sound of the rusty clamp on the pipe. An alternative would be to get them to fully weld the system so no clamps are used.

Thanks FB. I'm reluctant to fit a one piece system - I occasionally have to remove the down pipe for access to various bits there so it would be a pig. I imagine though a fabber could make stainless flanges (I think I saw some a few years back you could retrofit) and weld those on. The joint olives perish anyway so be useful to get in to replace them. Will maybe give Longlife a call and talk to them. Thanks for the info!

Mikalor clamps are your friend, if a bit spendy. Or there's Daan's system (see member's vehicles forum) using band-clamps which is beautiful but even spendier... but beaauuutiful :wub:

I have a longlife sytsem (by Fastfit Basingstoke) on my 109 and it's been great, and they made a section for the 127 recently which was also nicely done.