M.A.P Capstan Winch

skirky dave

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there has experience /knowledge on the parts on these winches.

I've had mine for years but needed to replace the seals ( 4 off ) on the worm drive shaft. Relating to the Capstan Winch Booklet Kit No 5300 which is almost identical to my MAP.

2 questions really

( 1 ) There is 1 THRUST Washer,  which, fits between the narrow end of the drive shaft spring,. and the connecting part of the drive shaft  which has a small hole drilled into the washer..Page number 4 . Number 72, Part  number 116-A4.  Does this holes serve some sort of purpose or can any thick washer be used.

(2) I've read that i should use Hylomar RED sealant when refitting the winch seals, 4 off, page 1  numbered 38, part number 118-A4.    I have two full tubes of Hylomar BLUE, but not red.

Is there a difference between these two products.

Many thanks guys

Dave.

I can't help much with the parts, but would love some detailed pics if you've got it in pieces please :)

Red hylomar was thinner and used for head gaskets and suchlike, I think. Blue is a good general jointing stuff. 

The holes in the washer are probably there to ensure both sides get oil, and it'll be precision ground rather than stamped I'd imagine.

lo-fi

Hi mate,

Errm, i've obviously described this wrong !!.   The thrust washer that i'm describing at the END of the driveshaft which engages into the crankshaft dog cog.

The final drive shaft has the long large spring which slides over the shaft and pushes against the thrust spring as you engage the shaft into the crankshaft dog.

There is no oil supply to this shaft or washer, which is why i'm wondering why this washer has a hole drilled into it.These are on sale on EBAY and are called Land Rover Series 1 2 2a 3 Fairey Capstan Winch Worm Shaft Thrust Washers, Ebay item number 371452179947. Sorry about the lettering.

Cheers

Dave.

eBay item number:

LO-FI,

Sorry but it's not exactly in pieces. HOWEVER...If you type into google,..Land Rover capstan winch, and then press IMAGES, you will see the document which is the same as mine.Then click on the image  and it will take you to....Land Rover FAQ. If you then, look at the left hand side of that page, it will then enable you to look through the instructions and layed out parts, page by page. Not a bad instruction book.

Hope that helps LO - FI

Dave.