Sunroof removal for paining

Hi all , I’ve got to the stage on my project where I’m starting to prep for paint , have decided to paint the truck first after all the welding and repairing is done then rebuild the engine and other mechanicals after as that can be done when the weather turns cold . So on to my question , the truck has a sunroof fitted it didn’t leak before , and looking on eBay found the exact same one listed as a military wolf sunroof , if they exist it’s got the metal frame on the inside . So I would like to remove it before painting then refit after , but will this cause me problems resealing it when I refit it ? As I seem to remember some threads I’ve read were it was advised not to , but that might just be me imagining it . Also what do Land Rover put in the roof gutter to seal it mine appears to be cracked, is it advisable to remove the old and replace with new stuff ? 

Cheers for any help or advice Ian 

My td5 roof has one fitted, just the factory glass wind up job. This is the seal for my style

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/100599/0/sunroof_seal_twist_style_sunroof_defender

Just a foam type seal sandwiched between the frame and roof. I'll be removing mine to paint as someone has made a right mess of painting/masking around it. Will no doubt regret it as the self tappers will probably shear on removal ! :o