Rebuild 110 as a 90 Softtop

This may be a little crazy, but here goes.

I have acquired a 110 county TD5 Cat C that was written off due to an interior fire. There's not that much damage, drivers seat, roof lining, driver's door and b-pillar plastic and a very messy damaged dash where the perpetrators clearly tried to start it, got fed up, ripped out the centre console containing the radio and fled. It still starts and drives and is in excellent condition otherwise.

So I need to scrap the chassis to comply with the cat C along with the interior due to smoke damage/toxic chemical contamination.

I understand that anything I do with it will now probably (definitely?) result in a Q plate, which doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I would love to buy a new 90 galv-chassis and reuse most of the 110 to create a soft top 90 (SVX style). Mechanically and body-work wise the 110 is in excellent condition so what bits would I need in addition to what can be re-used from the 110?

We'll start with the rear tub, fuel tank and rear prop-shaft. So apart from the obvious soft-top components, can anyone point me to a list of other stuff I'll need?

Also, is there a recommended guide for a chassis swap? I have a barn in which to carry out the conversion and am reasonably competent (I already have a 110 TD5 County daily driver that i do all the work on).

All help is appreciated.

Cheers.

Rich.

Cat C can be put back on the road no problem, I have. Cat B is parts only cat A is must be crushed. However this category system doesn't exist any more but I can't remember the replacement. If rebuilt as a 110 with either the original or a new chassis it will keep its registration. Only a second hand chassis or change it wheelbase would earn you a  Q plate but even then they will try to give you an age related plate. To be honest if you want to build a 90 then start with one. Starting with a 110 is going to be a world of stupid little parts you have forgotten. 

Mike

12 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Cat C can be put back on the road no problem, I have. Cat B is parts only cat A is must be crushed. However this category system doesn't exist any more but I can't remember the replacement. If rebuilt as a 110 with either the original or a new chassis it will keep its registration. Only a second hand chassis or change it wheelbase would earn you a  Q plate but even then they will try to give you an age related plate. To be honest if you want to build a 90 then start with one. Starting with a 110 is going to be a world of stupid little parts you have forgotten. 

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have read so much conflicting info about written-off vehicles. The rules appear to have changed in 2017 but the car was written off in Feb 18 and given a C instead of the new S or N. This has put me in a world of confusion already. The insurance co are insisting on being supplied with a COD, so I figured it's definitely a new chassis.

I agreed to buy the salvage with the understanding it would probably end up with a Q plate and I am not intending to 'flip' it for profit.

Most of the tidy SVX style soft-top TD5s seemed to be priced north of £15k, I wouldn't be able to justify buying another defender, let alone one at £15k so whilst I appreciate the sentiment I really want to explore the possibilities first.

Take care.

The rules changed just after I put mine back on the road I even had to wait a week because the Vic was about to go a week later. I sure there is a way to check online what write off marker it has. 

If you really want to proceed with the 90 plan then buy a 90 and add the good bits off the 110. That way you should keep the 90's ID and be able to sell 110/90 parts not required to fund it. Plus you will be able to comply with the cod.

Mike

That was my understanding too. A-destroyed, B-break only. 

As for my previous comment about selling the 110...that’s a moot point now you’ve told us it’s an old CatB that requires a certificate of destruction, however the rationale remains. 

It’s now only a parts car. You are technically just building a 90 from scratch using parts from a breaker...not “rebuilding as a 90” so you’ll have no ID and it’ll require SVA and all the associated issues that goes with it. 

Cat A & B still exist. Cat C was replaced by S for structural damage and Cat D was replaced by N for Non-structural. Both are still “write-offs” but only the S required reapplying for a V5. My mate repairs salvage stuff for a living. 

Edited by Scotts90

20 minutes ago, Scotts90 said:

That was my understanding too. A-destroyed, B-break only. 

As for my previous comment about selling the 110...that’s a moot point now you’ve told us it’s an old CatB that requires a certificate of destruction, however the rationale remains. 

It’s now only a parts car. You are technically just building a 90 from scratch using parts from a breaker...not “rebuilding as a 90” so you’ll have no ID and it’ll require SVA and all the associated issues that goes with it. 

Yes, that is my understanding too. I could break it up and sell the parts or create a 'kit' car. All of which are my problems to overcome.

So, in this thread I am not asking about the whys a wherefores of Q plates and SVAs, that may be for another time. Firstly, I need to know which parts differ from 90 to 110.

Ok, simply put everything from the b pillar back. 

110 specific:

Props , rear axle, fuel tank, chassis loom, fuel lines, brake lines, exhaust, rear tub, sills. Roof lining, roof. Side panels, shocks, springs, brake system  

Swappable, full front end (wings, grill, bonnet,screen), front doors. Seat box, front floor plates. Engine/loom, gearbox/transfer box, lights, 

90 specific:

rear tub, roof, chassis loom, fuel lines props sills, side panels. Brake system, exhaust system. Suspension  

Its not a definitive list by any means but anything that’s longer won’t fit (ok some “may” with mods) other items are different due to a 110s extra weight although they may look identical.

12 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Yes and It may be for sale soon.:stirthepot:

Mike

May be interested.

Don't need roof/lining etc as would plan to make soft-top.

15 hours ago, Scotts90 said:

Ok, simply put everything from the b pillar back. 

110 specific:

Props , rear axle, fuel tank, chassis loom, fuel lines, brake lines, exhaust, rear tub, sills. Roof lining, roof. Side panels, shocks, springs, brake system  

Swappable, full front end (wings, grill, bonnet,screen), front doors. Seat box, front floor plates. Engine/loom, gearbox/transfer box, lights, 

90 specific:

rear tub, roof, chassis loom, fuel lines props sills, side panels. Brake system, exhaust system. Suspension  

Its not a definitive list by any means but anything that’s longer won’t fit (ok some “may” with mods) other items are different due to a 110s extra weight although they may look identical.

Are you saying that the rear axle, shocks and springs are different on a 110 and can't be transferred to a 90 chassis? Everything else makes sense to me.

When you say 'brake system' can you be more specific?

Sorry if I am sounding dumb here - I've never owned a 90, only a 110. I realise what I propose is a lot more hassle than simply re-creating a 110 from the donar car, but I need to understand how much extra hassle it is for the sake of building my 'for keeps' car.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'd look for a crusty wreck of a 90 but with a valid V5, get a galv chassis and swap as many good parts onto that as possible, then sell/trade the rest to cover the remainder. You should have no problem selling the un-used bits of 110 CSW for strong money - things like 2nd row doors & seats, side sill/pillar assembly, the back axle etc. are all popular. Clean bits of silly little trim are surprisingly sought after.

There's a thread on here lamenting the fact you can't get solid LWB B-pillars for love nor money (£250+ per side easily). Likewise the disc-braked Salisbury should be popular... I'd make an offer myself if I were nearby!

Plenty of folks on here will have the bits you need and be willing to trade etc.

9 hours ago, Eightpot said:

So if you have to provide a CoD, how are you going to register this vehicle built entirely from parts?

AFAIK the same way a kit car would be registered - IVA test. But the idea of finding a nearly dead 90 appeals.

The idea of just doing a straight 110 chassis swap is still alive, but only if the process of re-registering would be easier.

As we've mentioned several times, buying a dead/dying example with valid ID and using good parts from your 110 as a donor will always be the easier route regardless of what wheelbase you decided to do.

Just to clarify. You are destroying the damaged vehicle, you will not/cannot re-register it. Anything you decide to do outwith rebuilding a wreck (but not a write off) will require Q-plate and IVA