main prop shaft

ralph o

Hello all.

Ive just bought a 03 LR Freelander kalahari, it has a few faults that i can resolve windows,locks etc but have just got underneath and noticed that the main propshaft is missing. OK i should have noticed when i looked underneath when i bought it but was only really looking for rust. you may have already guessed this is my first landrover . whats the main reason for removing it. I guess its not just for economy, running it as 2wd. I will get a prop and fit it but thought i would join you guys and gals and get some experienced info. FYI its clean and tidy and runs fine with 9 months MOT,i paid £300 so happy to sell on or brake it if i cant get 4wd out of it.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated 

Best regards

Ralph

Thank you Glenlivet . Is this the normal issue ?. If i get a new prop with new vcu i should be good for 4wd ?. Its SORN for now so insurance not a problem. I do need 4wd so will be looking for prop and vcu . It looks like a straight forward fit, or is there any issues with re-fitting a prop. Kind Regards 

Welcome!

Have a read back through this forum you'll see the whole VCU / IRD thing explained in tedious detail.

The VCU allows slip between front & rear when turning corners etc., they have a service life after which they can start lock up more than they should which stresses the IRD and the rear diff and can lead to the IRD wearing out or breaking.

If your prop was removed it could have been simply a seized VCU (or rumbly VCU support bearings) or it could be to mask a bigger problem with the IRD or rear diff or both, so just re-fitting a propshaft and VCU might reveal something unwelcome...

Sometimes people remove the output drive flange from the IRD as well, and blank the hole off, which is daft and unnecessary unless the IRD output bearings were shot or the output pinion had chewed itself to pieces - worth checking yours is still there before buying a propshaft!

If you're new to all this I'd recommend buying genuine VCU support bearings, and avoiding ANYTHING made by Britpart.

Thanks for that FF. yes i am new to land rovers. I had my own repair shop back in the 80's (i am now 58) i have always repaired my own vehicles and the LR flander looks fairly mechcanical,so i am happy to do any repairs needed. Not very familier with 4x4 systems but will learn quickly.

Maybe i need to do a new post , but was wondering exactly what i have (no v5 yet ) is there a information port anywhere i can put in the reg/vin no to find out some more detail on what i have ? 

I will always try to get genuine parts where i can. Too many problems in the past to muck about with patern parts.

I have looked at some previous posts and there is a lot to take in but enjoying all so far.

Kind regards

Ralph