LT77 in Series III 109 with 200tdi

rtuin

Hi, 

I am running a 200tdi in our 109 and want to upgrade the gearbox. The 200tdi is sitting on the origional engine mounts. 

I do not want to move the engine 4inch forward. 

So let us assume I will use a defender short bell house  , not a Stumpy, a defender LT77, an Ashcroft converstion kit and finally the standard series transfer case.

Am I correct that the HI-LO and 2wd/4wd levers will have to be slightly altered to keep them on their origional lications?

Does the main gear lever fit the series location or doe I have to modify the cover?

As to the gearbox crossmember, I am planning to cut the standard member away and place  a leightweight or RR bolt-on version.

Obviously, the propshafts will be modified as well. 

Am I overseeing any pitfalls or other please do not's or you will regrets?

Yes the gear-lever more or less comes out in the same spot

yes the hi lo levers will need sorting out

having run this set up in the past I wouldn’t bother again. Fit the lt230 aswell and forget the series transfer box. The lt230 is vastly superior.

you don’t need any of those stupid part time 4wd kits either. The series axle is fine in full time 4wd. I’ve run mine like that for more than ten years now

jon

• Like 1