EAS timer relay location

Bigj66

Can anyone tell me where the delay timer relay that causes the air suspension to self level overnight is located on a 94 soft dash? I have seen some relays at the side of the passenger seat so wondering if it might be one of them?

Ive read that changing this 5 pin relay for a 4 pin one will disable the self levelling function when the vehicle is parked on uneven ground? Anyone know for sure if this works?

I'm the one who posted about replacing the timer with a standard 4-pin relay on RangeRovers.net. 😉

I can confirm it will work on the Classic as well. The timer module should be located under the right hand seat, along with the ECU and other relays for the EAS. You could also use the disable switch at the back of the seat, that should prevent leveling but the ECU will still wake up every 6 hours.

Greetz,

Filip

7 hours ago, Escape said:

I'm the one who posted about replacing the timer with a standard 4-pin relay on RangeRovers.net. 😉

I can confirm it will work on the Classic as well. The timer module should be located under the right hand seat, along with the ECU and other relays for the EAS. You could also use the disable switch at the back of the seat, that should prevent leveling but the ECU will still wake up every 6 hours.

Greetz,

Filip

Cheers Filip, that’s much appreciated. I’ll know by the weekend if my relationship with EAS is going to be rekindled or not...😉

Just stick with it, it's not that complicated a system to maintain once you know how it works. Any specific problems that have you worried? One of the advantages of using a standard relay instead of the timer to prevent leveling is if you have a leak, you'll know which corner to look at.

I can send you the LR EAS manual with the diagrams etc if you think it will be helpful.

Greetz,

Filip

That would be great Filip, cheers. Will the manual PM or do you need an email?

No specific concerns as yet but have past experience of the self levelling issue.  I’m wondering if it would be possible to leave the 5 pin relay in place but fit a switch in line with the wire feed to the terminal that provides what I believe is a permenant feed to the system?

I'll see if I can PM the manual.

You ca fit a switch on the feed wire, or even fit a second relay that is ignition switched. We did this before I found out the pin-out of the timer is compatible with a normal 4-pin relay. Which is a much easier mod than adding a switch or relay. Only downside of the removing the timer relay is you need to refit it to run EAS diagnostics, as it tells the ECU to go into diagnostic mode (this can be done manually by turning the power on and off while connecting the diagnostic as well). A switch would have the advantage you can turn the EAS off on the fly if you detect or suspect a problem, and prevent it from lowering to access mode as can happen when there is a hard fault.

Greetz,

Filip