Sheilder bulkheads

Hi im sure you have all seen the new bulkheads by sheilder . Has any one seen one yet or has anyone had any dealings with the company . The bulkheads are on an introductory price that seems very reasonable . I need a new bulkhead but don't want it  for a couple of months due to a house move . But don't want to miss out on the lower price . I have emailed them and they have said if I pay half the price now they will hold one for me at the lower price . Just looking for your thoughts and experiences with the company and the bulkheads .

Thanks Mark

If it is all ok technically then I’d probably think about either a much smaller deposit or getting it now (in spite of house move). Paying half with nothing except a piece of paper might be a bit risky. 

6 hours ago, marktdi said:

Thanks my concerns are the quality for the money and also the hefty 50% deposit and I've never heard of the company before 

There's been some discussion about their chassis on here, seemed reasonably positive from a quick skim.. 

7 hours ago, marktdi said:

Thanks my concerns are the quality for the money and also the hefty 50% deposit and I've never heard of the company before 

there a sound company, i should know as i got one of there galvy chassis in my back garden and a bulkhead will shorty be ordered. :) 👍

I got a good look at their td5 D2 chassis and it's not without its issues. Solid? Yes. To the quality of the other two main suppliers? Not yet. (I know Marslands don't do d2), there were a few areas of concern on fit and placement but nothing insurmountable. However, at the price point it has saved another otherwise sound Land Rover.

Haven't seen any of their bulkheads, but having seen some of Ashtrees bulkheads I didn't rate their repairs very highly. If it's an all new build then it's all down to how good their jig is!

Thanks guys had a look at there web site thanks and it does look good . I thought the price didn't seem too bad for a brand new galv one . There was someone else doing new bulkheads for series 3 and defender . a sort of universal fit one . Im sure that was 2k and not galved . Cant for the life of me remember who it was though 😂

Thanks for all the advice I payed the deposit today after a lot of mulling it over . I think at 999 plus vat it's a good price compared to what good second hand ones are making . I'll report and post pic's once I have it 

I bought four genuine td5 bulkheads from the last batch land rover made in early 2016, for around the same price. Despite some ridicule at spending £4000 on them they have proved a good investment as I have sold two of them recently for £2000 each!

• 4 weeks later...

I had a good chat with the guys from Shielder at a recent show. They had both a 90 chassis and bulkhead on display and whilst solid I reckon some tweaking may be required...still, as Landrover owners thats nothing new!

Nice guys to talk to, they were going to pick up some series bulkheads to deconstruct with the view to replicating those models too.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Chaps,

Ive been doing some research on the shielder bulkheads with mind to buying one and came across this thread.

The latest on the defender2.net thread:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62499.html?highlight=shielder&start=15

http://www.defender2.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=23561&pos=0

Doesn't look too promising.

Has anyone else taken delivery of a bulkhead and have better reports before I take a gamble?

Thanks

Matt.

Edited by matthew74

That is terrible fabrication , it's not so hard to make things correctly , nor is it hard to make jigs and braces to hold things while welding and cooling .

Finally and by no means the least important , how about checking the finished product before releasing it to the client , it's a new product and is highly integral to the build as we all know so you'd think it might deserve a little inspection procedure............

It makes the Pegasus BH's look good value , not seen one in the steel but they do look very crisp and lets face it there is a lot of work to make one properly

cheers

Steve b

I have just stripped and repaired one bulkhead which is currently at the galvanisers and will be going on my rebuild.

The original bulkhead which came off my 90 has been shot blasted and needs 2 footwells and 2 top corners. If I get it repaired and then galvanised what does everyone think itwould be worth to sell compared with one of the shielded items. Just wondering if I can be bothered to do some of the work and running around and also justify spending out on getting all the work done. The ideal would be to be able to make some money back to pay for my recent bulkhead. As if there isn’t likely to be much money in it I will just sell it as a shot blasted bulkhead but again it’s hard to put a price on.

Thanks 

jon

As mentioned earlier on I have seen one in the metal and it did have issues, just not enough attention to detail for my liking. Having said that I've also seen an Ashtree bulkhead which considering it was a repaired OE item it too had some shocking repair work and a poor fit on the chassis.

Unfortunately not everyone has the time/means or equipment to rebuild bulkheads (I've got 3 suitable for repairing when I get around to it), so it's a shame that these replacements can't be classed as "fit and forget". Hopefully they can refine their setup and produce a quality item.

Reading the above, I am even more happy to have a spare Bulkhead that awaits a small amount of work and cen get dipped then.

Seems almost as if collect yourself and inspect before parting with money is thing to consider...