How not to do the Ball joints

Blanco

Just thought I would share this as a cautionary tale, why you shouldn't just do a bit more when you are tired and your feet are hurting but you really want to get on with the job.

It all started when the Range Rover failed its DOE or MOT, mainly brakes (working well, but condition of components), but also the front right hand ball joints. I managed to source new ball joints locally (an eye watering €100 for the pair mind you!) which meant I could get on with it over the weekend.

It all started reasonably well, but in common with George's 'SOUP' experience it all takes much longer than you intend. So I get to the end of Saturday, I have the new lower ball joint in and I thought I would just finish off by putting the top one in as well.........

IMG_20180805_141209.thumb.jpg.3881cb419fd7ad41d89fbd374def599b.jpg

Can you tell it is the first time I have tackled the job? Although in my defense it is counter-intuitive to fit the flange uppermost.

IMG_20180805_153346.thumb.jpg.c836a281a07dc7a9b50a660bcb75aca7.jpg

It was a pig to get out and cost at least 2 hours wasted effort. Also the cheapy press clamp cups were fine to put it in the other way but much less so the right way. As you see here I had to drill a lump of heavy plate and cut an bit of tube to help.

Sorted now but lesson learned!

I'm currently having a nightmare with the bottom balljoint on mine. I am bending the G clamp thing (same as yours) but it won't go in. I think it may be too big... the one I took out is 34.35mm dia, but the one that I have to put back in (a Bearmach one) is 35.15mm dia 😮

I had no great hopes for mine, the brand was ETS made in Turkey, but actually it went in OK.  The G clamp thing does bend, I had the breaker bar on it as you can see, when I reckoned there was plenty of pressure I gave the cup a whack with an 8lb hammer I have on a short handle. moved about .5mm each time. The better style of tool has threads both sides, and gives equal pressure, more expensive but if I had another one to do I might invest. Good luck with yours.