Series 3 Petrol, Cuts Out..........

SWB

Series 3 2 1/4 petrol, Starts perfect, ticks over o.k., can rev like hell when parked up. Drive to the bottom of the road, brake for junction or traffic lights and it just cuts out. Restarts no problem.

Any ideas people, or is there something stareing me in the face and I've not seen it?.

Edited by SWB

Try coasting to a stop, braking hard, braking gently, apply the footbrake when ticking over and see what happens.

Check all wiring to dizzy, coil, ignition switch and fuel pump (if electric) for loose connections and rubbing & shorting to earth.

Edited by rtbarton

Many thanks for rapid replies.

There are no symptons, it just suddenly cuts out a second before coming to a halt.

Will check everything as suggested and update later, hopefully with success.

18 minutes ago, SWB said:

There are no symptons, it just suddenly cuts out a second before coming to a halt.

Is the clutch disengaged at this point?, ie are you coasting to a halt?  If so, does it stop when you disengage the clutch?

Sounds like an electrical issue, maybe when the brake pedal is pressed a short circuit is created on the feed to the coil or something else. Check around the pedal under the dash for any wiring that could be getting trapped or touching earth when the pedal moves.

I agree. If that doesn't help, then one option would be to blank the servo fitting on the manifold and test IF you are comfortable driving the vehicle without a servo.

Update.

Removed spark plugs, checked gaps, O.K. and cleaned, although not that dirty.

Checked each plug lead and coil lead, all O.K.

Checked distributor cap and rotor arm, both O.K.

Removed coil wires, cleaned coil spade terminals. (Although very clean).

Checked engine oil level, radiator, brake and clutch master cylinders, also the steering box while I was playing under the bonnet. All fluid levels O.K., although noticed a new rocker cover gasket will need to be fitted soon, hopefully this weekend.

Fired up the engine, started first kick. Set off down my road until the junction, changed down through the gears, then applied brakes, came to a halt with the engine running!.

Went for a fifteen mile test run, taking many junctions and traffic lights, with no problems. (Up to press).

Whatever the problem was I'll never know.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, gratefully received.

• 3 weeks later...

Back again for help and inspiration.

Was away at the weekend, driving back I couldn't get over 40 mph, it would start kangarooing. Runs at 40 mph easily, but cannot get any faster. Any ideas, pointers and advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'd say it's running lean, that usually leads to surging under load, but can seem like it's running fine idle or cruise. Furl filter is a good shout, but also worth checking for air leaks round carb, inlet manifold, brake booster etc. What carb is it?

Could also be ignition related, though. Are you sure you've got the points set cock on and the timing is correct before you look at fuel stuff? Weak spark can lead to "wuffy" combustion and little power under load. 

Electronic ignition fitted, renewed fuel filter on last episode. Not in 4WD, checked again. Webber carb fitted.

Fires up no problem, ticks over o.k. revs like hell when on the drive, same as last episode.

Will look at everything suggested, many thanks.

we had a similar problem - turned out to be a tiny ( size of a grain of rice ) tree bud that had been sucked into the fuel pipe in the tank and then got stuck. It was just small enough to allow enough fuel past for tick over and short periods of revving on the drive. However go anywhere and the reservoir of fuel in the in line filter got used up and then starved the engine.

We found it by working back from the carb until the fuel pipe tank to pump was all that was left. Sucking on the pipe ( out of the tank! ) showed it was blocked. Blasting, against normal fuel flow direction, with an airline ejected the bud and normal service was resumed. 

I now have a new gauze filter to fit to the fuel pipe in the tank - I wonder how long that will sit on the shelf....

• 1 month later...

Hi to all, not been able to update, health probs. Managed to solve the problem at last,..........fuel delivery!

Removed fuel pipe before in line fuel filter next to the carb, placed pipe in a large container, turned engine over, not much fuel coming from the pump. Removed fuel pump and found a hell of a lot of play in the actuating arm. Sent off for a new pump (not the blue box of death), free play on the actuating arm exactly the same. Took original pump to bits, made a spacer for the internals, fitted, fired up and will now go over forty, acceleration much better.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I still have doubts about your brake vacuum system.  The fact that it would always cut out when braking suggests the engine was breathing through the brake servo, bypassing the carb and running too lean.  I'm trying to remember where the vacuum hose joins the induction system, before or after the carb.  I think it was after, as before wouldn't generate much vacuum on the servo, but any leak in the system would cause lean running.

Thanks.  That affirms my suspicion of it being the culprit.  It was probably the main problem on my wife's Lightweight, which started beautifully even after months of standing, ran like a sewing machine but went to carp as soon as it warmed up and the choke was off.  New manifolds, exhaust, carb, complete ignition system and fuel system overhaul (including cleaning out all the pipes) didn't fix it, and it wasn't timing or compression related.  Unfortunately it had to be sold for immigration, and the new owner couldn't find the fault either.