'Genuine' Land Rover Parts

Mods please move this if there's another more relevant area.

Over the last 6 months I've been doing some work on my TD5. I've gone the pricey route and insisted that all of the parts used in repair or restoration have been genuine Land Rover parts, in their little LR Jag bags. I've used one on line supplier for quite a few items, however quite recently I've discovered that some of these parts, maybe all of them, are cheap alternatives. In each order I've always chosen the more expensive 'genuine' part in my quest for perfection.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so what measures did you take, legal or otherwise to reclaim your costs?

Kind regards

FF

It's a suspicion at the moment, but it became apparent when I ordered parts from a different supplier. I'd been a bit careless when ordering some indicator fittings, and ended up with duplicates. One set arrived in their little LR bags, they had a substantial rubber seal, and the electrical plugs slotted in perfectly. The 'others' had a flimsy foam rear seal, and the plugs had a very poor fitting. I'm looking at some other components now.

I thought your 1st post said they did come in "little JLR bags"... :huh:

If it's not arriving in a genuine LR box/bag then it's almost certainly not genuine.

Also just because it's "OEM" doesn't mean it's the same as genuine - if memory serves TSD tore down a Bosch 200TDi starter and the genuine LR Bosch one has more seals than the "OEM" Bosch version.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I thought your 1st post said they did come in "little JLR bags"... :huh:

If it's not arriving in a genuine LR box/bag then it's almost certainly not genuine.

Also just because it's "OEM" doens't mean it's the same as genuine - if memory serves TSD tore down a Bosch 200TDi starter and the genuine LR Bosch one has more seals than the "OEM" Bosch version.

SimonR also did similar with UJs. 

Some suppliers will sell parts individually that Land Rover only do in certain quantities - e.g. trim clips that come in packs of 10 for example. Often these will come in plain bags, having been re-bagged. LR Series do this a lot, but I’m reasonably confident that the stuff is genuine as it’s held up to scrutiny.

Howver I tend to just order in the bagged quantity anyway as then you get the LR packaging and know for sure, plus you have spares 😁

OEM parts are made by an OEM manufacturer. It does NOT, repeat NOT mean that they are of the quality or specification as the original genuine LR (or whoever) part.

Quality is a meaningless word these days. Everything is of a quality, but no vendor EVER states their merchandise is of low or poor quality, do they ?

If items are NOT in sealed LR packaging, then they will not be genuine parts. They may well be OEM parts, but OEM of what ? Knitting needles ? Hansom carriage lamps perhaps ?