Sign in to follow this  
ralph o

Which Tyres

Hi all, The free lander i have just bought needs tyres. Can anyone advise on the best option for a reasonably priced tyre. And what rating is recommended for the FL.

I have seen some car tyres that are the right size (225/55/17) but unsure if they are suitable.

I am hoping to keep it below £100 per corner 

I don't intend to go mud-plugging, mainly lane use ,some motorway miles and to be able to pull the caravan across a wet field 

Any advise/experience appreciated  

What freelander is it, what size rims?

I was very impressed with my General Grabber AT2's on and off road.

Hi  ff its a kalahari on 17" rims  (Sorry for the slow response ive been away)

Hi FF just had a look via google and can't find my size in Grabbers  225/55/17  Cheers

Whatever you choose, make sure they are marked XL (extra load) and they will be fine.

You COULD go up to 60 profile, or even to 65s (which I have on mine) which will give you more choice and range of prices.

Only "problem" with this, is that it makes the speedo read slightly slow...…………...not really a problem as they tend to overead in any case, but you do lose a bit of grunt for heavy towing and full loads. In practice though, I have not found this a problem for me.

I wouldn't like to "recommend" it as such, but its something you could consider. 

Sorry, just to be clear, when I said XL, I meant car type tyres !

Hi Smallfry, Thank you for the info. I was wondering about changing the profile and/or width, and weather the insurance would consider it a 'modification'. as you say it gives me a lot more choice .

Need to to check with the insurers

Cheers