Do distributors "wear out"?

coombed

Hi all,

I have a 2.25 petrol 109 of which runs really hot and often into the red (of which I then pull over and wait for it to cool down). Because of this, I rarely take it out as it's a risk of being stranded and broken down . I have checked the timing, flushed the cooling system, changed the oil etc of which I am happy it all seems as it should. The previous owner told me that I might want to "change the distributor" because it "was an old unit they had laying around and is worn out". Unless I have missed something in my many years of playing with Land Rovers, this makes no sense to me.

Is there any correlation between a distributor being "worn out" and the running temps of an engine? Do dizzys even wear out?

Thanks

Duncan

Overheating can be caused by ignition being too far advanced or retarded.

They do suffer from age, apart from the obvious points & cap, the condenser can fail, the springs weaken, the pivots for the weights wears and the shaft & bushes wear.  Worth looking to make sure the gear is pinned tightly to the shaft too.

Yes, is the answer - they do wear but, cannot be solely ruled as the culprit for overheating.  Poorly set timing can cause overheating but wear on the distributor with correct timing will cause rough running.  There are many, many things that could cause overheating.  Check your timing first.