Project Sankey

So, another project... I bought a cheap narrow track Sankey last year. Usual deal: tub knackered, the rest thriving on abuse and neglect. Another one came along in much better shape, so that got an overhaul and a lick of paint leaving this one stood looking sorry for itself. I've been musing about a conversion to make it useful, so the idea of a flatbed was born... I'm now about to move house (massive garden, tarmac drive and lovely double garage - yey), so the project got moved up the list and this was born last weekend:

nmto3ZFl.jpg

ixkJm2Xl.jpg

Still very much a work in progress, but I got the wooden top on last night:

9JpOutpl.jpg

FWulZLZl.jpg

It has yet to be secured down; I'm waiting on rivnuts to secure the plates. Plenty of room underneath for potential camping supplies if I ever feel the need. The bed can be used as a base for a tent.

YCXeNWAl.jpg

I'll give it a once over mechanically, and a civilian plug and convert the lights to Land Rover lenses with these little adaptors I've been 3D printing:

bozEmTBl.jpg

epDAz0el.jpg

I don't like the bug eyes much and the glass ones are expensive. These are cheap, easily obtained and CE marked :D

Cleats/tiedowns, strengthening ribs, finishing plates, paint and other odds and ends still to do.

That's all for now, I'll add bits as it progresses.

I'll weigh it and compare to the original tub, but I reckon it's probably comparable - the tubs are heavier than you might expect - so somewhere around the rated 3/4 ton. My new frame is quite light, but the wooden top does add a few kilos. 

• 2 weeks later...

I decided it needed some drop sides, so more box section got cut and welded.

I made some removable hinges that slide into the box section:

Yw5xTWml.jpg

evRsVvbl.jpg

As ever, I wish I'd taken more photos, but I was in a hurry:

B52UlZQl.jpg

6DnLkjul.jpg

QqN7a9rl.jpg

tkoKtoGl.jpg

ncIK11Gl.jpg

Then it got pressed into service moving house:

nHtsYmEl.jpg

The hinges can be turned 90 degrees to hold hoops for the forthcoming canvas box trailer/tent. It's been a really nice little project.

TTFN :)

• Like 2

Cheers 👍 For something so simple, it was really fun to do. I modelled it in CAD to make the inevitable mistakes there first, then had to wing it as I'd almost run out of metal by the time I decided to do the drop sides :rofl: