Steve Parker P38a Steering kit

Gazzar

Steve Parker has a P38a PAS conversion kit.

Not debating the quality, or otherwise, of the kit, but I was curious as to why they went for the steering bar arrangement, rather than using the standard drag link.

https://www.steveparkers.com/product/spck339pask2-power-steering-kit-land-rover-series-2a-3/

G.

I suspect that attaching the drag link to the tie rod is to do with reducing the wheel turns from 4 to 3.
If the drag link extended all the way to the steering arm, as standard, the point of attachment is further from the swivel pin centre line. This means the end of the drag link has to travel further (side to side) in order to achieve the neccesary swivel of the hub to give full lock.

To say the same thing in a different way;
Attaching the drag link to the tie bar effectively puts the drag link attachment to the steering arm at the same place as the tie bar, closer to the swivel pin axis.
For any given steering lock this shorter distance reduces the sideways movement of the drag link, the angular movement of the steering relay drop arm, and therefore the turns of the steering wheel.

Regards.

The distance from the axis at the axle, to the drag link, is shorter.

Of course. That makes sense.

Complex way of achieving what could be done by taking out a swivel pin shim.

That would make the steering heavier!

G.

I think there are ways around that. If you use the relay hole as one end of a clamp, you should be able to attach without welding.

It's the drag link that bothers me, I get what they are doing, but am slightly worried that is another extra point of failure. 

Though it's no more than stock series, I suppose, when you consider you lose the steering box to relay arm.

I'll think about it.